Quality Inn & Suites
2600 East Market St.
York, PA 17402-2490
Phone: (717) 755-1966
Fax: (717) 755-6936
A fantasy of a quirky millionaire shoe businessman, the unconventional Shoe House is a sight to behold. Built in 1948 by 'Colonel' Mahlon N. Haines, it is made up of wood, wire and cement stucco and has elegant shoe stained glass windows. The five level building consists of three bedrooms, a hall and a kitchen. It was used as a weekend getaway for elderly couples and a honeymoon retreat for newlyweds to live like fairy tale kings and queens at Haines expense. Through its many years of existence, the Shoe House had various owners and was also an ice cream shop for a short time but since 2004 it is open to the public, offering an insight on the curious life of Mahlon N. Haines. Appointments are a must if you are visiting during winter and spring.
The York Central Market stands as a historical public market site in the York region of Pennsylvania. It is also famously called as the Central Market York, and it was thoughtfully and elegantly designed by celebrated architect John A. Dempwolf. It is a comprehensive market with vendors as well as stores. Further details can be availed from their official website.
The York Meetinghouse is a monumental building and a meeting avenue. It is situated in the York city in the form of a monumental Quaker house. It stands to terrific historical significance and is included on the National Register of Historic Places since 1975. The meetinghouse building was initially constructed in the year 1766 and further underwent expansion in 1783. It is predominantly a two bay structure that has been created by utilizing brick elements. The gable and the stunning green exteriors add up to the aesthetics of the structure.
The renowned Samuel Stoner Homestead is a magnificent historic site and is accurately situated at the West Manchester Township in Pennsylvania. The construction of this ancient home took place in three stages, in the years of 1801, 1835 and 1850, respectively. This monumental home is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Howard Tunnel is a historic railroad in York County, Pennsylvania. In operation since 1838, it is one of the oldest operational tunnels in the country. During the Civil War, Confederate troops tried to destroy this brick lined tunnel, but it was safeguarded by the Pennsylvanian forces. It was bought by York County after it was fell in a state of disrepair and is now maintained as a railroad of historical significance. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1995.
Known as an engineering landmark, the Columbia-Wrightsville Bridge is 7374 feet (2247 meters) long. Comprising of 28 arches, 185 feet (56 meters) long each, the bridge is used to carry traffic across the Susquehanna River. It is one of the longest concrete arch bridges in the world.
The Hanover Junction Railroad Station is railroad station in North Codorus, Pennsylvania. What makes this three floored structure historic is the fact that President Abraham Lincoln boarded a train from this station for his famous Gettysburg address. The station was completed in 1854 and closed in 1920. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983 and is now a general history museum.
Forry's Mill Covered Bridge is one of the many bridges that are a part of the Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. This bridge stretches across the Chiques Creek and is included in the National Register of Historic Places. Built way back in 1869, the domineering bridge still going strong and is in working condition.
Constructed in 1769, the Warrington Meeting House is a typical Quaker house complete with a gable roof. This historical meetinghouse is included in the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.
Amish & Pennsylvania Dutch Country is a region of southeastern Pennsylvania that is well-known for being home to a large number of Pennsylvania Dutch and Amish residents. The area includes close to 20 different counties, most notably Lancaster County. The area is most famous for its Pennsylvania Dutch and Amish cultures, with their own languages, schools and a modest, traditional way of life which is famous for shunning modernity and technology. Driving through the area, it is not at all uncommon to see horse-drawn buggies carrying Amish families around.
This Gothic style barn was built in 1872 and has got stars on all its sides. The Star Barn Complex is a remarkable complex comprising of a huge barn, a pigsty, chicken coop, milk house, carriage house and a pond. All of these outbuildings reflect the same style of the main building however on a smaller scale such as the star-shaped vents. The complex is undergoing a restoration program to preserve them.
A bridge owned and preserved by the Lancaster County, the Landis Mill Covered Bridge is a sheltered wooden bridge comprising of double pyramidal-shaped burr-type wooden trusses. It is a single cover that spans across the Little Conestoga Creek in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. It was constructed in 1953 and provides an array of services. It stretches at 53 feet (16.2 meters) long and is touted to be the shortest span bridge in the county. Built at a mere cost of USD969, it stands stern despite the varied developments in the surrounding environment, thus increasing its significance.