Quality Inn & Suites
226 W. 5th St.
Waterloo, IA 50701
Phone: (319) 235-0301
Fax: (319) 234-8437
Arts & Museums
With the mission to collect, preserve and interpret cultural and natural history of the region, primarily focusing on Iowa history from 1833 to the present, the Grout Museum of History & Science began with the collection of 2,000 objects that belonged to prominent Waterloo resident, Henry Whittemore Grout (1858-1932). The museum has many permanent and temporary exhibits. The Grout Planetarium features a 17-foot dome.
With over 600 displays, the Dan Gable International Wrestling Institute and Museum's mission is to "preserve, maintain and promote the long and illustrious heritage of mankind's oldest sport in a manner which will benefit the sport, educate and entertain the public, and to inspire youth to dream big and work hard."
The Bluedorn Science Imaginarium is an interactive science center that provides fun hands-on exhibits that demonstrate how science affects everyday life.
Situated along the banks of the Cedar River, the Waterloo Center for the Arts is "a municipal non-profit institution dedicated to fostering community awareness and appreciation of the arts by acquiring, preserving, exhibiting, and interpreting significant works of art." A variety of programs, events, changing exhibitions and creative activities are offered. Its permanent collection features Midwest art, American Decorative arts, and the largest public collection of Haitian Art in the United States.
Housed in an Italianate-style home, the Victorian Home and Carriage House Museum is furnished with artifacts dating from 1880 to 1900. Built to resemble the exterior of an early carriage house, the Carriage House addition features exhibit galleries, the Cedar Falls Historical Society's offices, a research library and archives, which includes early county probate documents, photographs and business records and general historical records of Cedar Falls; and collection storage. Please call to arrange tours or research time.
Open May through October on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays from 2:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m., the Little Red School House Museum features blackboards, books, a pot belly stove, bell tower and bell, and turn-of-the-century furnishings. It originally stood in the center of Bennington Township, four miles east of U.S. Highway 63 on the Dunkerton Road and then two miles north, near St. Johns Lutheran Church.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Ice House Museum shows the process of how the ice stored and eventually delivered. Different types of ice-boxes, a large two-horse ice wagon, 1935 model B John Deere tractor, and original photos are just some of the items that visitors can see.