920 East Main Street
Uvalde, TX 78801
Phone: (830) 278-4511
Fax: (830) 591-0413
Known to be one of the oldest theater in the state of Texas, the Grand Opera House is undoubtedly a building of historic significance. Also known as the Janey Slaughter Briscoe Grand Opera House, the theater was built in 1891 in the town of Uvalde. The theater is still very much operational and hosts various kinds of plays and performances. The Romanesque Revival style building of the theater was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.
Fort Inge was built as Camp Leona in 1849 and served as a frontier fort. It played a significant role as Indians continuously attacked the mail route that ran along the San Antonio-El Paso Road, and troops were stationed here to counter these attacks. It was later renamed in the honor of Lieutenant Zebulon M. P. Inge, an officer who lost his life in the Mexican–American War. Over time, the fort was reclaimed and abandoned several times, and till 1884 Texas Rangers camped here. In 1961, the area was transformed into Fort Inge Historical Site County Park and is also included in the National Register of Historic Places.