7411 New Hampshire Avenue
Takoma Park, MD 20912
Phone: (301) 439-3000
Fax: (301) 439-6927
Prince George's County's only surviving historic mill, the two-story, rustic stone Adelphi Mill is the oldest and largest mill in the Washington area. Located near the University of Maryland on the Northwest Branch of the Anacostia River, the air-conditioned Adelphi Mill is available for public rentals.
Family owned and operated winery that produces German style wines from dry to sweet and two red wines. Tours and tasting by appoointment only.
One of the prominent middle schools in Takoma Park, the Takoma Park Middle School has its origins in the historic Takoma-Silver Spring School. Sprawled over an area of 18.8 acres (76,080.p square meters), this school has well-maintained facilities, like the Lee Jordan Athletic Field, basketball courts, a greenhouse, six science laboratories, a library and even a television studio, that help the school provide wholesome education. The Takoma Park Middle School is also a part of Maryland’s Green Schools program, which requires it to conserve energy and adopt environmentally-friendly ways of functioning. See the website to know more.
Luxury mega-plex, with twenty screens and stadium seating, running all of hollywood's latest blockbusters.
Named for its acorn-shaped pavilion, the Acorn Park is a city park that was originally built by Francis Preston Blair in 1840. It was part of his estate and contains a spring with water containing mica, that gave it a silver color. This 'silver spring' in fact led to the city being named after it! A tiny park, just 0.12 acres (0.0485623 hectares), the Acorn Park can easily go unnoticed amidst the tall building surrounding it. There is an artificial cave here, as well.
University of Maryland is a major educational hub with its history dating back to 1856. Students at this university have access to a number of facilities that helps them achieve an edge over others. This university aims for an all-rounded development of its students. With a well qualified staff and a career guidance center for students, its the best a child can get in terms of education.
A state-of-the-art moving image exhibition, education and cultural center featuring 32,000 square feet of new construction housing three theatres, office and meeting space, and reception and exhibit areas.
This cemetery, just one acre in size, is one of the smallest national cemeteries. President Abraham Lincoln dedicated it after the Battle of Fort Stevens in the summer of 1864. The defeat of the Confederates during the two-day battle in July 1864 saved Washington, D.C. from invasion. More than 900 Union and Confederate soldiers were killed; 41 of the Union soldiers were buried in this specially created cemetery, one-half mile north of Fort Stevens. When you visit the cemetery, take special note of the entrance, which is flanked by two smoothbore guns.
The Plymouth Congregational Church helps keep the faith of God alive by spreading the message of love and peace. Their campaign reads as 'Our faith may be 2000 years old, but our thinking is not!' The church promotes spirituality, strong faith and giving to those who are in need. Join them for worship services, check website for details and timing of the services.
Franciscan Monastery, this century-old monastery is one of Washington's hidden delights. The garden, set on a hillside and reached by winding paths, is full of big trees and places to sit quietly among the flowers and small outdoor shrines. The public is allowed to view the upper church's full-scale replicas of Holy Land shrines. In the lower church, visitors will find a replica of the Roman catacombs, which can only be seen on scheduled tours. Guided tours last about 45 minutes.
Built in a flourishing Queen Anne style of architecture, the Harry Smith House was established in 1890. One of the pioneer houses to be built in Riverdale (then called Riverdale Park), the house is said to have played a key role in development of its peripheral community. A major landmark around town, the Harry Smith House was added to the U.S National Register of Historic Places in 1993.
One of the five galleries at the Pope John Paul II Cultural Center, the Gallery of Faith houses several artifacts and paintings related to faith and religion. The exhibits highlight the importance of faith in an individual's life. The gallery comprises a number of paintings and texts pertaining to the birth and life of Jesus Christ. After a walk through the gallery, visitors can also share their ideas and spiritual experiences. Check website for details.