Quality Inn St. Helena - Beaufort South
863 Sea Island Parkway
St. Helena Island, SC 29920
Phone: (843) 838-5022
Fax: (843) 838-5122
863 Sea Island Parkway, St. Helena Island, SC, US, 29920
- Phone: (843) 838-5022
- Fax: (843) 838-5122
After the Yemassee Indian War of 1715, the permanent settlement of St. Helena Island was able to begin. The Anglican church constructed the Chapel of Ease in 1748 as an auxiliary of St. Helena Episcopal Church. It was so named because settlers and their families could conveniently use it for religious and social purposes during the colonial period. Because of the island's isolation from the rest of the country, the island community did not suffer as much during the Revolutionary War. However, after 1790 the rich soil of the land produced highly valued sea island cotton, the next prized crop after indigo. It became a major commercial crop that was shipped to England. This brought great wealth to the planters who built huge mansions. The four chapel walls built of tabby are all that remain. There is small cemetery nearby. If visiting during the summer, bring insect spray. The site is well worth visiting for its historic significance. It is open from sunrise to sunset daily. -Natasha Lawrence
The Edgar Fripp Mausoleum, St. Helena Island Parish Church is a monumental church site in the Frogmore region of South Carolina. It was constructed in 1852 and is a massive model of the gravestone art and architecture prevalent in the mid-19th Century era. It is listed on the distinguished National Register of Historic Places since 1988.
The site of one of the country's first schools for freed slaves, the Penn Center is a National Historic Landmark and is a part of the Penn School Historic District. It includes 19 buildings, including the Brick Church, Darrah Hall, one of the oldest buildings on St. Helena Island; old burial grounds, the York W. Bailey Museum, and the Gantt Cottage where Martin Luther King Jr. lodged. Several programs are held each year.
Built in 1865 as the Civil War ended by freed slaves in a coastal vernacular architectural style, this African-American "Prayer House" was given other freed slaves. Located in the historic district of Beaufort, it was used as a church, meeting hall and community center. In addition to weekly worship services, visitors are welcome to tour the church and attend musical events and concerts held here. The Hallelujah Singers, a local Gullah group that sings spirituals, perform here. Church office hours can vary, so be sure to call for more information, visiting and tour hours. - Natasha Lawrence
A jewel among early 19th-century homes in Beaufort, this four-story Federal style mansion was built in 1795 by a French Huguenot using shipbuilding methods. Each room has a fireplace with a finely carved ornamental mantle. Listed in the National Register, it was used as headquarters for Union troops during the Civil War. Until it came under the wings of the Beaufort Historic Foundation in 1971, the house was used for a variety of businesses. Located across the street from Waterfront Park, it is the only architecturally historic home that is open to the public as a museum. It is sometimes called the Lafayette House because the Revolutionary War hero stayed there. Docent tours are given every half hour. Metered street or park parking is available. -Natasha Lawrence
Constructed of brick and tabby, enlarged, modified and repaired over two centuries, this historic landmark has been involved in the Revolutionary War, the Civil War and the 1861 Battle of Port Royal, and has been connected with the Yemassee Indians, Spaniards and pirates. It has housed the Beaufort Volunteer Artillery, the National Guard, the Historic Beaufort Foundation, the Beaufort County Historical Society and today, the Beaufort Visitor Center. The museum features relics, two 1779 British guns, uniforms, letters, photos and weapons exhibits such as World War I hand grenades, Confederate sabers and a 1915 machine gun. It also tells the story of the Sea Islands, which was important to the development of Beaufort. A visit to the Arsenal museum will also take you to the Visitor Center that provides guide books, maps of Beaufort, souvenirs and tour assistance. The museum and Visitor Center is closed on Wednesday and Sunday. There is no admission charge to the museum, but donations are welcome. -Natasha Lawrence
Also known as Fort Prince Frederick, the Fort Frederick Heritage Preserve is situated in Port Royal, South Carolina. Overlooking the scenic Beaufort River, this fort is the oldest structure built using Tabby concrete. It was constructed by the British to fortify themselves against the Spanish. Currently, the site comes under the purview of Department of Natural Resources and great efforts are taken to preserve this historical spot. Given its fragile nature, visitors aren't given direct entry and have to book a tour in advance.
Within a short walking distance of a number of notable dining establishments, this full service marina offers boat docks and slips, fuel, and a ship's store. A courtesy car is also available.
Once a hospital during the Civil War when its flat tombstones became operating tables, this historic 18th century church features a wooden altar that was carved by the crew of the USS New Hampshire which was stationed nearby during the Reconstruction. The church is open daily and tours are available.
Founded in 1712 and completed in 1724, this Episcopal church is one of the oldest churches in the US that has existed continuously, providing services despite disruptions due to wars and natural disasters. It was occupied by Union soldiers at the beginning of the Civil War in 1861 and converted into a hospital. It features an organ with 1150 pipes. The cemetery adjacent to the church contains the grave sites of many historic figures, such as Colonel John Barnwell who fought in the Indian Wars and was a founder of Beaufort Town; Thomas Heyward, Jr., a signer of the Declaration of Independence; and two British officers who died in the Battle of Port Royal. Visitors are welcome to tour the church, gardens and cemetery or attend services. The Parish Bookstore offers books and guides on church history and Christian cards and gifts. Hours vary by season; check the website. Office hours are 9a to 4:30p. -Natasha Lawrence
Tabby Manse is located at Beaufort, South Carolina. This building was built in 1786 and is also referred to as Thomas Fuller House. It was added to the National Registrar of Historic Places on May 14, 1971.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1997, this 33-acre cemetery has historical significance as the resting place for Confederate and Union soldiers who died during Civil War. It was originally a cemetery for men who died in Union hospitals when Beaufort was occupied during that war. Abraham Lincoln's National Cemetery Act in 1863 made it a National Cemetery. Also interred here are several Medal of Honor Recipients and others from every conflict the United States participated in. It is designed in the shape of a half-circle and the roads are the wheel spokes. Visitors can drive through at the entrance to view the monuments and memorials from Boundary Street. The cemetery is open from 8a to sunset daily. - Natasha Lawrence