Wall from the House of Correction (Tukthusmuren)
+47 23 36 4100
Inside the new police station there is a wall from the old Tukthuset
(house of correction) from 1850. Tukthuset was built in 1737-40 as a social institution, to stop begging and crime. It was also Norway's first asylum for mentally ill people. From 1800 it began to be used more as an ordinary prison, and as a women's prison from the beginning of the 1880s. It was demolished in 1938 to become offices and shops. Inside the police station you can see 15 meters of the stone wall, but most of it is outside. Four and a half meters high, it was taken apart and the stones numbered when they built the new police station, and rebuilt afterwards. This is what is left of the 500 meters (1640 feet) of wall that used to go round the whole prison. The building is situated 20 meters (65 feet) from Youngstorget
and a two-minute walk from Regjeringskvartalet (the Government Quarter).