1 Old Parliament Lane
+65 6332 6900
The first Siamese King ever to tread on foreign grounds was King Chulalongkorn and his choice of destination, Singapore. Soon after his eight-day visit in 1871, the King conferred to the State this bronze Elephant Statue as a token of appreciation for the hospitality received during his stay here. Several other similar statues were presented to other cities, but this one is considered most special because it marks the first visit by a Siamese monarch to a foreign country. The statue initially took its place before the Victoria Memorial Hall and was later moved to its present location at the Old Parliament House in the year 1919.