Quality Hotel Real Aeropuerto Santo Domingo
KM 22 Autopista Las Americas
Phone: (809) 549-2525
Fax: (809) 549-2727
Casa del Cordón
Mo to Fr from 08:30 AM to 04:30 AMThis building was constructed in the first decade of the 16th century. It was the house of Francisco de Garay, one of Columbus' men. In 1509, Diego Columbus, viceroy at the time, lived in it. In 1586, during Sir Francis Drake's invasion of the island, it housed the scale used to weigh all the valuables which would be paid as ransom to free the city. After a long and varied history, the government rented the building to the Banco Popular, which has a branch currently located there. The most striking feature of the building is the doorway which framed by stone beautifully carved into the shape of a rope.