Church of Saint Francis of Assisi
Via San Francesco D'Assisi
This Romanesque-Gothic shaped church dates from 1254-65 and has a portal topped by a rose shaped window. The basilica interior has three naves and a wooden ceiling which was reconstructed in 1949-50. Only a few frescoes have survived on the right of the church, which are mostly from the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries, including S. Margherita da Cortona, by Girolamo del Moretto (1530) and Pentecost by Romanino. Behind the altar at the end of the nave is S. Pietro, a fresco from the thirteenth century. In the apse of the presbytery is a magnificent golden frame in a table by Romanino is a picture of the Madonna with Child and Saints from 1515. The frescoes on the vaults are from the first half of the fifteenth century. In the second chapel is a large, wooden crucifix from the Lombard school of the fourteenth century. A corridor at the end of the nave leads to a small cloister from the end of the fifteenth century and to the sacristy, whose furniture is attributed to Filippo Morari (1483). There is also a notable processional cross in silver by Giovanni Francesco delle Croci (1501).