Piazza Paolo VI
This ancient palazzo is now the headquarters of public administration. It was built in a Roman-Gothic style between 1223 and 1298. It was extended and added to by the Visconti, Pandolfo III Malatesta and the Venetians, without losing its architectural characteristics. On the right of the complex is a tower (torre del popolo) built in the 12th Century, and it has the tile façade of the S. Agostino church which was rebuilt in the 1400 and demolished in 1803. The Romanesque door (with Baroque decorations and a entrance hall from a later date) leads into a remarkable courtyard containing two side porticoes with rounded arches, one of these has two triforia
and two large quadriforia
with columns and antelamici
capitals; the portico
on the northern side dates back to 1626; the central fountain is from the 17th Century. In a second courtyard is a wonderful loggia with high arches from the early 1400s. Several salons on the south side still have some original 13th-14th-century frescoes, situated above the vaults.