Castle of Soncino
Largo Salvini 1
+39 03 7498 1507 (Tourist Information)
Soncino castle is formed by two quadrilateral enclosures separated by a deep dyke defended by high crenelated fortifications. Donated to Soncino by the printing heirs, the fort had been reduced to little more than a ruin but it was given an enormous restoration in the 20th century by Luca Beltrami who attempted to reproduce the original design. The only inhabited part of the complex was turned over to exhibitions; it had been added to the military structure during the Renaissance. Various bodies collaborated to create a historical museum and objects are now displayed in the rooms of the north-west tower. Call for more details.