Quality Hotel Nova Domus
Via G. Savonarola 38
Phone: (39) 06 399511
Fax: (39) 06 39731470
Via G. Savonarola 38, Rome, IT, 00195
- Phone: (39) 06 399511
- Fax: (39) 06 39731470
Bounded by the Via Trionfale, Via Tommaso Campanella, Via Bernardino Telesio and Via Giordano Bruno, the large police garage is ochre in color. It was designed by Vinaccia in the 1930s when the rest of the area was also built. It is used as accommodation for the police as well as for parking their vehicles. The main entrance is on the corner of Via Trionfale and Via Campanella below an overhang supported by grooved half-columns over which a large tower stands. The tower is decorated with columns, bas-reliefs and three large statues inspired by classical models in niches. The statues appear to represent Apollo di Belvedere and Ercole Farnese. Two small, non-working fountains stand between the corner cylinder and the two façades in a state of neglect. The façades of the building are classically inspired as seen by the statues, sculptures, bas-reliefs and drums.
Inside the Vatican Museums you will find the Cortile della Pigna between the Sistine Salon, the Museo Chiaramonti, the Galleria dei Candelabri, the Museo Pio-Clementino and the Museo Gregoriano Egizio. The cortile is part of Bramante's Belvedere courtyard and was given the name because of the large bronze pinecone in front of the large niche. It was actually mentioned by Dante in, The Divine Comedy. It dates from the Roman era and was found in Agrippa's Baths near Piazza Navona. It was probably created by the sculptor Salvius and may have been part of a fountain. It was later placed in the atrium of St Peter's with two bronze peacocks.
The Vatican is amongst the most important historical sites in the world. The seat of the Holy Roman Catholic Church, The Vatican is also the home of the Pope. As the smallest state in the world, the Vatican has figured in key events throughout history. Occupying about one half kilometer of Rome, The Vatican is further significant because of its fabulous architecture, religious, and artistic treasures. It was Pope Julius II della Rovere in the 16th century who commissioned Michelangelo to paint the history of creation on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. Among countless other notable events in the history of this important city are the convening of the College of Cardinals, at the death of a reigning Pontiff, for the purposes of electing a new Pope. No visit to Rome is complete without an excursion to The Vatican, a place so steeped in history and tradition that you will never forget it.
Piazza Risorgimento forms the meeting place of Via Cola di Rienzo and the quieter Via Crescenzio; in the form of a long boat, the square has recently been restored for the Jubilee. New long stone benches, flower beds, palms and a new lighting system decorate the square. Despite its central position below St Peter's, the square was a meeting place for street people and immigrants before the restoration work and was used for parking buses and trams at the end of their lines. Now the circulation has been organized more rationally.
Porta Angelica lies along the last section of the road that connects Castel Sant'Angelo to the Vatican - just below the colonnade of St Peter. It was built (like the rest of the defensive walls) by Pope Pius IV who was baptized Angelo and therefore had the gateway dedicated to the Guardian Angels. It currently has two fornixes, the original one from 1563 and the more recent one built in 1932. The gate marks the end of the road of the same name that has recently undergone restoration for the Jubilee. The road includes one of the entrances to the Vatican City (St Anne's Gate) that is protected by Swiss guards. On the right there is the church of Sant'Anna dei Palafrenieri and to the left the barracks of the Swiss Guards.
Visiting Rome for the first time, visitors must experience the Sistine Chapel, the Vatican structure with 50 million monthly visitors. The Chapel was built between 1477 and 1481 by Pope Sixtus IV. From 1480 to 1483 the walls were decorated by famous artists of Renaissance, such as Botticelli, Perugino, Ghirlandaio. After 20 years, Julius II commissioned Michelangelo to decorate the ceiling in 1508. Today, after the restoration, tourists can visit the chapel and see Michelangelo's Last Judgement. The Vatican has placed its enormous art collection on the Web in hopes that it will attract more tourists. The site allows visitors to take a virtual reality tour of some of the dozen museums and galleries that make up the Vatican collection, viewing Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel with a three-dimensional video. At the Chapel, you will invariably find it crowded with hundreds of tourists, so be prepared. The best way to see it is to go to the Vatican Museums early, so that you're among the first in line when they open. Silence should be observed and photography is not prohibited.
The elegant district of Vittoria lies towards Risorgimento Bridge on the left bank of the Tiber. It is characterised by small villas and palaces built after the international architectural competition as part of the 1911 Exhibition. Shaped like a star around Piazza Mazzini, Vittoria's main artery is Viale Mazzini. The square, designed by Raffaele De Vico in the form of an ancient nymphaeum, has a fountain in the center. The district church, the Cristo Re, was designed by Marcello Piacentini for whom a 15 meter-tall monument was erected in Piazza Mazzini. Some of the most noteworthy buildings in Vittoria are the 1920s Ircis building in Piazza Mazzini, the Allegri villa at 3 Via Nicotera, no. 46 Viale Carso (the house of sculptor Mistruzzi), and the ICP houses on Via Trionfale.
Enclosed by Bernini's magnificent colonnade, this square has the largest number of visitors in the world. Millions of tourists wait here either for the Pope's Sunday blessing or to enter the Basilica. More than a square, the colonnade gives it the atmosphere of a courtyard, inviting people to enter the church. During Christmas, a nativity scene and a Christmas tree are installed, and there is a remarkable atmosphere of celebration, with the majestic dome dominating the scene behind.
If you want to see Vignola's beautiful church, the masterpiece amongst his buildings on an elliptic plan, then you need to enter the Vatican City through the gate of Saint Anna, to the right of which you will find the entrance to the Church of Sant'Anna dei Palafrenieri. The church was built for the confraternity of Palafrenieri during the second half of the 16th century, but was only finished after the death of the architect's son, Giacinto Barozzi. The interior is of modest dimensions, with two side chapels, and is much simpler than the baroque facade by Alessandro Specchi, which was added many years later.
The Tiare fountain stands in the corner of the Via di Porta Angelica in Colonnato Square. It was designed by Pietro Lombardi and built in 1927 together with a dozen or so other fountains aimed at improving the appearance of the city. It stands on a large base divided into three parts; there are also three small tanks in the form of shells that collect the water that falls from three spigots. The fountain is decorated with three keys of St Peter and four papal tiaras. The largest tiara bears the coat of arms of Rome and that of the district.
The church of San Gioacchino stands on one side of Piazza dei Quiriti - its refined and elegant exterior immediately attracts attention. It is impossible to miss the mosaics on the façade and dome, which are made from crystal stars. The dome is made entirely from aluminium and is crowned with eight angels with their wings spread at the edges. The church was designed and built by Lorenzo De Rossi and Raffaele Ingami and inaugurated in 1898, but the decorations were only completed in 1940 following financial help from 24 countries. Inside there are 14 chapels, each one named after the country that contributed to its decoration.
Near Via Cola di Rienzo in the district of Prati there is a small, circular and rundown square known as Piazza Quiriti that has been chosen as a refuge by a number of street people. In the first half of the 20th Century the square had a fountain that was one of five erected in Rome during the 1920s to embellish the city. But this one was severely criticised for its obscene female figures, positioned right in front of the church of San Gioachhino ai Prati. The result was a flood of curious sightseers to this relatively unknown area.