Quality Hotel Rouge et Noir Roma
Via Cosimo De Giorgi, 8
Phone: (39) 06 416009
Fax: (39) 06 4511969
Via Cosimo De Giorgi, 8, Rome, IT, 00158
- Phone: (39) 06 416009
- Fax: (39) 06 4511969
At Monte Sacro, on Via Nomentana, you reach this lovely bridge with towers and battlements: its history includes the appeasement between Menenius Agrippa and the Roman plebeians, after the rebellion of the latter who took refuge on Monte Sacro. The bridge was later destroyed and rebuilt, and it has been identified as the bridge on which Pope Leo III and Charlemagne met for the coronation of the Carlovingian king as emperor. The Nomentano bridge was the site of many battles over the centuries, and the successive rebuilding operations led to its fortification.
On Via Nomentana, after Villa Torlonia, you will find the Mausoleum of Santa Costanza. The building dates from the early 4th century and was built by the daughters of Emperor Constantine, Costanza and Elena. It was originally a baptistery of the nearby basilica of Sant'Agnese fuori le Mura and only became a church in the mid-13th Century. The circular building is a fine example of early Christian and late Roman architecture. The interior is divided by 12 pairs of granite columns adorned with marble capitals. The side apses have rich mosaics from the 5th and 7th Centuries, while the square niche opposite the entrance contains a copy of the sarcophagus of Costanza. The original was taken to the Vatican. The church also has ancient murals that have survived to the modern day. Exiting onto the Via Nomentana, there is the convent and the rectory. It was in the latter that Pope Pius IX and his retinue were miraculously saved when the floor below them collapsed. A fresco in the chapel known as the Pius IX's room commemorates the scene and can be seen from the courtyard.
This basilica was erected in honor of the martyred St Agnes, one of the most venerated Roman saints, and for the conservation of her remains. The original complex was conceived of as a majestic construction, the traces of which can still be seen from the Piazza Annibalino area. The present church was built in the 7th Century in the Byzantine style. The mosaic in the apse depicts St Agnes with the symbols of martyrdom and the Popes Simmaco and Onorio at the sides, the latter with a model of the church in his hand. One of its many restorations added the bell-tower and the coffered ceiling in gilded wood. Under the high altar is the tomb of the martyrs Agnes and Emerenziana. The former's statue stands above the altar; it was made in 1605, using the torso of an ancient alabaster statue, to which were added the head, hands and the clothes in gilded bronze. The catacombs on three levels, devoid of pictures, were constructed during the time of the Christian persecution.
Lively Viale Libia with its double row of shops is a paradise for shopping in the Trieste district. It is a true "fountain of endless shopping," extending for about two and a half kilometers (1.5 miles) and includes two other famous commercial streets, Viale Eritrea and Corso Trieste. Similar to an open air shopping mall, the shops along Viale Libia offer mostly clothing, shoes and bags, but there are also bookstores, jewelry shops, cell phone stores other businesses selling various goods and objects. Among many pizzerias, cafes and places to eat that should not be missed, visitors should definitely stop in at the Marinari bakery, a true favorite of the neighborhood locals.
Realized in 2007, thanks to an intensive reforesting effort, the Parco delle Valli, also called Parco dell'Aniene, is a welcome patch of green in the fourth district of Rome, and a frequently visited spot for the locals. Accessible from various entrances found on both Via delle Valli and Via Conca d'Oro, the park takes up 20 hectares (50 acres). It boasts a strong growth of Mediterranean vegetation composed of more than 1500 trees, multiple areas for children, as well as dogs, cycling routes and a soccer field. On weekends, it is possible to rent bicycles and rickshaws, or you may happen upon a concert in the park.
Built in the 17th Century by the aristocratic family Chigi, Villa Chigi, along with the even larger Villa Ada, is one of the larger green spaces in the highly congested Trieste neighborhood. A very popular meeting spot among neighborhood locals, it is accessible from three entrances, namely, Via di Villa Chigi, Via Valnerina and Via Niccolò Piccinni. While the villa itself has remained the private property of the original family's descendants, the park has been open to the public since the end of the 1960s. The 2003 renovation of the gardens restored the original 19th-century design of the park, with three splendid fountains and some beautiful benches made from travertine marble.
Among the busiest and most well-known streets of the Talenti neighborhood in northeast Rome, Via Ugo Ojetti is the ideal choice for a shopping trip away from the shopping malls and usual streets of the city center. From the large and prestigious boutiques like Zita Fabiani, Max & Co and Undercolors Benetton to the local clothing stores such as Spizzichino, to even department stores like Oviesse and the mobile kiosks selling clothing, a stroll on Via Ugo Ojetti is perfect for all budgets - small or big. Easily accessible with various bus lines, the street is also very busy during the Christmas season.
Realized in 1930 by the landscape architect Raffaele Vico, Nemorense Park (also known as Parco Virgiliano) has since then represented a real green lung and meeting spot for the locals in the Trieste neighborhood. In its midst, among the oaks and pines, three green hectares (just under seven-and-a-half acres) can be found, dressed with a merry-go-round and games for children, a bocce ball lawn and a beautiful lake: Nemorense Park is truly adapted for both young and less young. You’ll also find a café of sorts with an open-air bar, not to mention the historic stone walls upon which whole generations have passed their childhood afternoons.
Sitting in the northeast zone of Italy s capital city, the Aniene Valley Nature Reserve is a protected area which covers about 1600 acres (650 hectares), following the Roman river of the same name until it meets with the Tiber. Accessible from various entrances which open up to Via Val d Ala, Via Tilli and Via M. Cingolati, the nature reserve is home to an array of vegetation, with tree species such as oak, elm, ash, willow, maples and other Mediterranean flora. In the confines of this large green space also live various animal species, including river crabs and crayfish.
Construction of this villa began in the early 19th Century, and the architect entrusted with the commission was Valadier, whose other works include the Piazza del Popolo. As years passed by, other portions of land were purchased in order to extend the park, which was landscaped by garden architect Augusto Jappelli. The villa was the private residence of Benito Mussolini from 1925 to 1943 when he was ruling the country. After World War II, it was used as the headquarters of the Allied High Command in Rome.
On Via Salaria, near Via Ada, are the catacombs of Priscilla. Seven popes were buried here. They were victims of emperor Diocleziano's persecutions, along with various saints and 300 presumed martyrs. Catacombe di Priscilla extends along two levels. Benedictine nuns act as tour guides. The older, upper level dates from the beginning of the 3rd Century, a date which is confirmed by the stamps on the building which are from the Caracalla era. In the vaults of the gallery of sarcophagi, there is a famous painting depicting Mary with the Baby and the prophet Isaia, from the early 3rd Century. The most important funerary monument is the Cappella Greca, so-called on account of the two inscriptions in Greek painted on the plaster of a nook. The catacombs are covered in frescoes with images taken from the Old and the New Testaments.
San Lorenzo Fuori le Mura has since ancient times been a destination for pilgrims, as it is built on the very spot where the martyr St Lawrence was buried. It is situated outside the Aurelian walls next to the Verano cemetery. During the bombings in 1943 the church was seriously damaged. When it was bombed, the Pope left the papal residence to inspect the area and bless the site. Unfortunately, only one of the several original mosaics is still visible: on the apse vault, depicting Christ with saints Paul, Stephen, Peter, Lawrence and Hyppolite. The floor is covered by mosaics and much of the material from the remains of the ancient basilica has been used - for example, the pillars and the architrave.