Ian Potter House
27-37 Marcus Clarke Street
Canberra, ACT 2601
+61 2 6205 0044 (Tourist Information)
Originally known as Beauchamp House, this heritage-listed building known as Ian Potter House was constructed in 1927 as a hostel for female public servants who had been transferred from Melbourne. Later used as a public meeting place, it now houses the administration of the Australian Academy of Science
, which purchased the building in the 1980s. The Ian Potter Foundation gave substantial financial assistance with the purchase and restoration of the badly deteriorated building. In 1984, Beauchamp House was renamed after Ian Potter who as well as being a major benefactor, had taken a keen interest in the Academy of Science since its inception.