Quality Inn Pottstown
61 West King Street
Pottstown, PA 19464
Phone: (610) 326-6700
Fax: (610) 970-2665
The George Douglass House or George Douglass Mansion was built in 1763 and was the home and store of colonial entrepreneur George Douglass and his family. This two and half story Georgian structure is one of the fine examples of this architecture. The Historic Preservation Trust of Berks County acquired the property in 1988 and has been restoring the historic landmark ever since.
A museum rich with history, the Bahr Mill Complex was built in 1897 to house Jacob Bahr’s woodworking and grit mill business. Today, the mill has been completely restored to give visitors a chance to view the historical equipment used by the family. Don’t forget to visit the museum shop on your way out and pick up some very cool souvenirs like the miniature hay rake exactly like the rake used by Lawrence Bahr. The mill is open only on summer weekends from 11:00a to 4:00p, and all other times by appointment.
Pennhurst State School & Hospital was once Pennsylvania's notorious state-run institution for the mentally handicapped. This massive red-brick campus covers 1400 acres (570 hectares) and is connected through a series of underground tunnels. In 1987, the hospital was forced to close down after allegations of patient abuse and neglect. Recent efforts to develop the property have included a recycling plant, art shows and ghost tours/exhibits. The hospital is on private property and trespassers will be prosecuted.
The Hopewell Furnace National Historic Site is a fine example of a typical iron plantation from the 1770s era. Here, you can explore the various historical buildings or drop-in at the Visitor Center for a briefing on this site. For details, check website.
The Isaac Hunsberger House is a beautiful historic house that dates back to 1827. Coming under the purview of the Limerick Township Historical Society, it was included in the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.
As the name suggests, the Warwick Furnace Farms are the remnants of an ancient furnace and a farm house. Dating back to 1860s, it was an iron furnace; cannon balls that were casted here were used by the Revolutionary Army. It was included in the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
Spread over less than one acre of land, this residential home called the Henry Fisher House is a home that belonged to the fisher family. Designed in Georgian, Germanic and Federal styles of architectures the house was beautiful in it's appearance with the greenary around the place. This fresh environment home was also listed on the registers of National Historic Places in 1973.
Warwick Mills or James Mills is a grist mill that dates back to the 1780s era. This mill was functional till 1968, in 1974 this historical mill was included in the National Register of Historic Places.
A quaint 18th-century district, the Kimberton Village Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. Its architecture helped in providing walks and trails between homes, playgrounds, businesses and nature parks. The streetscape, comprising of benches, lighting, bike racks and plantations helped in making Kimberton a pedestrian-friendly village. The three original buildings listed in the National Register are the tavern, Chrisman Mill-turned-post office and the French Creek Boarding School.
The Exeter Community Library houses a wide collection of books and magazines. The library offers reading materials for people of all ages. They have various reading programs for toddlers, kids and adults alike.
The historically significant Perkiomen Bridge was initially constructed from 1798 through 1799. This stone arch bridge stretches across the Perkiomen Creek and was further expanded in 1928. It was also incorporated in the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.
A great historic remain of the Berks County, the Joanna Furnace Complex is a stunning iron industry. Also featuring the associated structures of the furnace, the district as a whole was listed on the register of National Historic Places in the year 1980. Spread over 13.8 acres (5.6 hectares) of land, this place is open to the visitors to visit the furnace and the structures that have been preserved.