11974 S. Crater Rd.
Petersburg, VA 23805
Phone: (804) 732-2900
Fax: (804) 732-2900
Church of the Sacred Heart Parish is a gorgeous structure built in 1906. Spread over a vast space of 12.223 acres (4.946 hectares), it is built with the Late Gothic Revival style of architecture. The brick red color of the building compliments the architecture well and is eye catching. The church is fully functional, with regular masses and ceremonies being conducted.
The cemetery site of Poplar Grove National Cemetery is a distinguished cemetery that lies in close proximity to the Petersburg city in the U.S. State of Virginia. Many of the soldiers who lost their lives in the Civil War are buried here. It is a tragic symbol of the gruesome Civil War and the unfortunate loss of lives.
The Blandford Cemetery is the final resting place of those who lost their lives in the Revolutionary War and Civil War. Located in Petersburg, it is one of the largest cemeteries in Virginia. Tour are operated throughout the year, as well as a special evening tour on Halloween. Admire funerary art and tradition in the gravestones, carvings, sculptures and tombs that date back to the 1800s. The reception also has a gift shop for those who would like to take back some memorabilia.
The prominent schooling avenue of the Peabody Building of the Peabody-Williams School stands distinguished in the Petersburg city of Virginia. The school building dates back to the year 1920. The building is predominantly a two story structure and has been created by utilizing red bricks. Occupying tremendous historical significance, the site has entered into the National Register of Historic Places in the year 2000.
Established in the year 1999, Appomattox Regional Governor's School is a public magnet high school (schools that offer specialized courses) that offers education in the streams of art and technology. One of the emerging schools of the state, Appomattox Regional Governor's School offers education to the students from the grades 9 to 12. The streams are further categorized into the fields of Performing Arts, Visual Arts, Literary Arts and Communication Technology, and once admitted a special emphasis is laid on maintaining the GPA prescribed by the institute. Call or visit their website for more information.
Touring in Petersburg? Get help from the knowledgeable staff at Petersburg Visitors' Center. Find all the literature required to make your stay here easier and stress free. Whether it's a list of restaurants, tourist attractions or accommodations, get them all in the historic area of Petersburg, where this Visitor's Center is located.
Your guide to all the beautiful sights, accommodations and eateries, Hopewell Tourism helps tourists with all kinds of literature required to tour around the state. They also organize meetings and trade shows. Whether emergency information, real estate prices or meeting facilities, you know where to find help. The center also offer snacks and drinks and if your visit to the city is short lived, pick up something from their gift store.
City Point National Cemetery is situated on the Appomattox River in Prince George County. Soldiers laid to rest in neighboring hospital cemeteries were re-interred in the City Point National Cemetery. The tall Army of the James Monument memorial made of white marble, is a prominent feature of the cemetery.
The Beacon Theatre was built in 1928, and remained a Vaudeville and movie theater that entertained the residents of Hopewell until its closure in 1981. This historic theater has since been revived and is today a magnificent live performance venue. The theater itself is fashioned upon a splendid blend of Art Deco and the Colonial Revival styles of architecture, and is rife with plaster friezes and intricate brickwork. Numerous subtle details lend the theater a charm that is enigmatic and alluring. Beacon theater offers a varied program of live performances throughout the year, including everything from concerts and theater productions, to comedy shows.
The Weston Manor is a spectacular plantation house occupying immense monumental value. The construction of the house site dates back to 1780; the house has adapted the Virginia Georgian style of architecture and most of its interiors are well-preserved. Included in the National Register of Historic Places, the mansion as well as the grounds are open to all visitors.
Merchant's Hope church was owned by a English trader, who named it after a plantation and a British ship. This church that was established in 1657, was incorporated in the U.S. National Register of Historic Places in 1969.
Built in 1613, this is the oldest plantation in Virginia, and a National Historic Landmark. It has been carefully and very well-preserved, and features original woodwork and furnishings, as well as the only example of an original "Flying Staircase" that's left in the country. Amazingly, it is still in operation today. Visitors may come for a pre-planned tour seven days a week. Check the website for details.