Quality Hotel Downtown
290 Rideau St.
Ottawa, ON K1N 5Y3
Phone: (613) 789-7511
Fax: (613) 789-2434
290 Rideau St., Ottawa, ON, CA, K1N 5Y3
- Phone: (613) 789-7511
- Fax: (613) 789-2434
The Tabaret Hall forms the main Academic building of the University of Ottawa. Named after Father Joseph-Henri Tabaret, OMI, this building with its roman pillars and unique architecture is a sight to visit for all visitors. The building is the central gathering spot for all the university students and all events and programs take place within this premise. Various social and academic programs including concerts and seminars take place at the Tabaret Hall.
The Goodwin House in Ottawa, Ontario is a palatial mansion that serves as the Canadian headquarters of Amnesty International. This historic building was built in 1900, one of the biggest mansions to be constructed in Ottawa at that time and even later. Over the years, ownership of the mansion changed hands when it was used a convent of the Grey Nuns, headquarters of the Canadian Women's Army Corps and St. John Ambulance.
One of the most fascinating glimpses into Canada's political history can be had at this beautiful, oddly downscale Ottawa home. Originally home to Prime Minister Wilfrid Laurier and later to William Lyon MacKenzie King, the home predates twenty-four Sussex Drive as the official residence of the Prime Minister. Famous visitors to the house include Winston Churchill and Charles de Gaulle.
The Connaught Building in Ottawa, Ontario belongs to the Public Works and Government Services Canada. This historic building serves as the headquarters of the Canada Revenue Agency. Built in 1915 to relocate some departments from the overcrowded Parliament Buildings, the Tudor Gothic style building was declared a National Historic Site of Canada in 1990. It is also a Federal Heritage Building of Classified Status due to its architectural importance.
The Government Conference Centre is a government entity which is located in downtown Ottawa. What was previously in operation as the city's railways station is now a venue for conferences. Over the years, the Centre has hosted many political, social and cultural activities. The waiting room here was designed to represent a Roman thermal bath. Guided tours to this neoclassical structure are available as well.
Justice Building was constructed in 1938 primarily for the Canadian police. Designed by Thomas W. Fuller similar to the Confederation Building, it now houses the parliamentary offices.
Founded in 1848 as the College of Bytown, the University of Ottawa is a bilingual public university. This co-ed university offers several courses centered around research, with over 40,000 students a year. Facilities at the college include several libraries and a museum, off campus provisions, accommodation facilities and sustainability initiatives. Ranked as one of the best colleges in Canada, the College of Bytown has seen alumni such as Paul Martin, the 24th Prime Minister of Canada. The college has also made a name for itself in sports and athletics.
Animals in War Memorial in Ottawa, Ontario is a monument dedicated to all those animals that have served the Canadian military since the Second Boer War (1899-1902). Three plaques with inscriptions in English and French dedicate the memorial to animals at war and specifically horses, mules and dogs. The sculpture of a dog is placed nearby. Inaugurated in 2012, the memorial was created by Laureen Harper and David Clendining.
The Cartier Square Drill Hall was built in 1879 as a military training facility and it remains the same today. Housing the Governor General's Foot Guards and the Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa, military drills still take place as they are kept as reserves for the Canadian Nation. Even till date they keep displays of drums and pipes. It definitely is a must see when in Ottawa because of its historical nature.
Built between 1839 and 1885, this neo-Gothic cathedral situated on Sussex Drive on the edge of the Byward Market is the oldest surviving church in Ottawa. Its twin spires and gilded Madonna are easily identifiable from nearby Parliament Hill and the surrounding area. The interior of the church is brightly painted and decorated with carved features, exquisite stained glass windows and hundreds of statues of various religious figures. The church is open daily for self-guided tours and prayer.
Since 1950 more than 112,000 Canadians have served as peacekeepers in countries such as Cyprus, Haiti, Egypt, Cambodia, Bosnia and Rwanda. The Peacekeeping Monument, entitled Reconciliation, was commissioned by the Canadian government in 1988 when the United Nations was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for 40 years of international peacekeeping. This monument, illustrating three peacekeeping figures, honors the men and women who have worn and continue to wear the blue beret, emblematic of peacekeeping service.
The Valiants Memorial is built in memory of fourteen significant contributors to Canada's military history. The monument is located in Ottawa, Ontario and comprises of life-sized busts and statues of heroes of five major wars- the French Regime, the American Civil War, the War of 1812, World War I and World War II. The monument was designed by John McEwen and Marlene Hilton Moore and was unveiled in 2006.