Quality Inn & Suites
2090 N. Broad Street
Meriden, CT 06450
Phone: (203) 440-9770
Fax: (203) 440-9776
Arts & Museums
The Solomon Goffe House is a historic building that is an important landmark of the Meriden region. Erected in 1711, it is one of the foremost houses and is still intact and well-preserved. Included in the U.S. National Register of Historic Places, it now serves as living museum.
The New Britain Museum of American Art (NBMAA) is an enthralling regional art museum, just nine miles (14 kilometers) south of Hartford. There are over 6000 artworks at this museum, ranging from canvas art to photography by preeminent American artists such as Mary Cassatt, Georgia O'Keefee, Andy Warhol, Edward Hopper and John Singer Sargent. There is free admission for all visitors on Saturdays from 10a until noon.
This beautiful house known as the Enoch Kelsey House is a house of the farmer. Consisting of free hand paintings, basement to attic paneling, a beehive oven and a fireplace, this house has been serving as a great museumwhere the people enjoy a great view of the historic home with it's ravishing interiors.
The Paul Mellon Arts Center at Choate Rosemary Hall in Wallingford is not just a performing arts center for the Choate students, but it is also a masterpiece of modern architecture designed by I.M. Pei. The facility is named for Paul Mellon, son of Andrew Mellon (former Secretary of the Treasury), who attended Choate during the 1920s. The Main Stage, which seats 800, hosts a variety of shows put on by students and by touring artists, including the big spring musical, with past shows like Grand Hotel, Little Shop of Horrors, Chicago and Les Misérables. Throughout the year, there are children's theater productions too, often based on classic children's books. There is also an Experimental Theater (often called "The Black Box") where improv, theater practices and small cabaret shows are put on. On the other side of the arts center is the Art Gallery where student works are displayed and you can find students studying and lounging on the couches.
The Kellogg-Eddy House or Gen. Martin Kellogg House was built in 1808 by Captain Martin Kellogg for his son and daughter-in-law. The historic home sports a Georgian style of architectural design, a feature of the era that it was established in. Enlisted a part of the US National Register of Historic Places in 1987, the house is now operated by Newington Historical Society. Open for visits on Sundays between 1p and 3p, the site makes for an interesting visit.
Academy Hall, located in Rocky Hill, is a longstanding educational establishment. It was built in 1803 in a Federal style and retains most of its architectural charm. In 1977, the Rocky Hill Historical Society transformed it into the Academy Hall Museum. It features interesting exhibitions of artifacts, images and memorabilia on the local history and culture, as well as a genealogical library. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Stanley-Whitman House was built circa 1720 and is the oldest of its kind in the town. This living history museum complete with its period furnishings and artifacts gives an insight into the lives of the Colonial New England settlers. The interactive sessions, exhibits and classes make it an interesting visit to this museum. This designated historic landmark highlights two timelines in different parts of the house. The first period is from 1725-1735 when the Smiths were the occupants of the house and the second zone is from 1736-1772 when the Whitmans resided here. Though both families were Puritans and successful, their lifestyles did differ from each other. If you love history, then this is a must visit.
The New England Carousel Museum in Bristol contains one of the largest collections of antique carousel horses and carousels in the United States. Explore the Golden Age of the Carousel at this one-of-a-kind museum that displays and restores these priceless, unique works of art. Check their website for information regarding special artwork exhibits and recent restorations.
Built in 1752, the Joseph Webb House is a historic Georgian-style house in Wethersfield, Connecticut. Joseph Webb, a renowned and successful merchant built this home post his marriage to Mehitabel Nott in 1749. It was the venue of a vital five-day military conference that was held during the American Revolutionary War. The house has an enormous history. After Joseph sold it in 1790, it was purchased by a group of entrepreneurs to start off a library. Further, it underwent extensive refurbishment and Wallace Nutting installed painted murals to open it as a sales area and studio. A visit is a great deal of a historic experience.
The Webb-Deane-Stevens Museum in historic Wethersfield is a collection of 18th-century homes that are National Historic Landmarks. The Webb House was built in 1752 and its claim to fame is as a resting place of George Washington during the Revolutionary War. The Deane House was built for an American diplomat to France's family during the War. Visits are only available from May 1 to October 31; however, there are special weekend hours in April and November. Call ahead for varying dates.
Located to the east of Wethersfield, the Buttolph-Williams House is one of the oldest structures in the city. Established in 1711, this house was constructed in the Puritan style. Its facade features wooden clap boards and casement windows with diamond shaped panes. The house was renovated in the 1940s by Frederick C. Palmer, who restored it to its former glory. Managed by the Connecticut Landmarks, Buttolph-Williams House opened as a museum in 1951. Elizabeth George Speare's historical fiction The Witch of Blackbird Pond, was set around this house, making it a popular visitation spot amongst fans of this novel.
Located in Bristol, Connecticut, this museum is dedicated to promoting and preserving the history of Bristol. Maintained by the Bristol Historical Society, it collects preserves and displays significant historical resources. It is located in a former high school which was Bristol’s first high school. The building was built in the year 1894 and there were additions made in the year 1910. It is a Victorian building made of brick, featuring the Richardsonian Romanesque style of architecture.