Place de Fourvière
+33 4 78 25 13 01
Built between 1872 and 1884 by the architect Pierre Bossan, the Basilique de Fourvière, that has been nicknamed the "upside down elephant" is representative of the eclecticism of the end of the 19th Century. The oriental, symbolist and neo-classical influences (twisted columns and columned porticoes) are mixed with architecture inspired by the medieval style machicolated towers, which creates a shocking fortress church. An observatory offers spectacular views, and under the basilica is a crypt, accessible from the esplanade. Guided tours are available. Check website for mass and admission details.