Quality Suites Lyon Confluence
50 Cours Charlemagne
Phone: (33) 4 37231604
Fax: (33) 4 78423884
Located within Presqu'île, Cours Bayard is situated amongst beautiful edifices that boast of a brilliant history and striking architecture. Cours Bayard is the place where you can shop during the Marché alimentaire Bayard'. The market which is open on Sunday and Thursday mornings, attracts a great number of locals and enthusiastic tourists who wish to shop for some fresh local produce. Call for further details.
Jardins de l'Elac is a serene park located in the southern suburbs of Lyon. The garden is adorned with beautiful trees belonging to various exotic species. What's more, the tranquil ambiance of the garden makes it a frequent destination for several nature lovers as well as those coming for a relaxing stroll. Besides that, the Jardins de l'Elac is also a bustling zone for concerts, gigs and live musicals. If you wish to check out the performance of a local star, do visit the Jardins de l'Elac for once.
Blandine was a saint of the first Christian community of Lyon, martyred with 40 other Christians in 177 CE. The church of Sainte Blandine today is at the heart of an active neighborhood, near a train station and a market.
Cours de Verdun is a busy and famous street in the 2nd arrondisement of Lyon. The street has become famous due to its proximity to famed tourist destinations such as the Basilique Saint-Martin d'Ainay, the Musee des Confluences and the Eglise Saint-Bonaventure. Besides the churches and museums, it also offers ample opportunities to shop at the boutiques that line-up the street.
The wide, open space of Place Carnot in Perrache provides a welcome respite from the hubbub of city life, although the square is know for having a farmer's market or two.
The Basilique Saint-Martin d'Ainay is a Romanesque church in Lyon. The church was founded on 29th January 1107 and was named after St.Martin by the pope Paschal II. The building is amazing and aesthetically constructed and worth a site.
Like the église Saint Paul in old Lyons, the abbey of Saint Martin d'Ainay is proof of the Romanesque Lyons architecture often eclipsed by the Gothic. Dating at least from the Carolingian era, the present abbey, of which there remains nothing but the church, dates mostly from the 12th century. The buildings at the end of the Middle Ages reflected the wealth of the abbey but the Protestants judged this wealth incompatible with monastic vows, so they looted the abbey. The Revolution finished what they started. Today it remains a testimony to architectural history of the area and is a favorite of visitors. Admission is free.
The view from the panoramic bar at the Hôtel Sofitel may not be as breathtaking as the one from the Crédit Lyonnais tower or the basilique de Fourvière, just as the tour métallique cannot compare to the Eiffel tower. But if you want a quiet drink in a well-known, comfortable bar and enjoy the view of Lyons by night, this is the place to go!
Chemin de Fontanières is one of the ancient Roman roads that lead to Lyon. In the 19th century the privileged bourgeoisie built their homes along it. One of these vast private mansions has a garden that looks as though it has come straight out of Alice in Wonderland, even though it is very close to the housing estates of La Mulatière. This unexpected floral paradise is hidden from view on the slopes of the hill. It has a perfect lawn and roses in all shapes and sizes: climbing varieties, a pergola by the house, rose bushes. All around there is a multitude of different bushes and climbing plants. The garden is open in March, April, May, June, September and October only.
Saint Georges catches the eye of passers-by on the quays of the Saône with its entirely neogothic harmony. The church was completely reconstructed in 1844 by the architect Pierre Bossan, who is famous for his eclecticism at Fourvière. The area of worship is however very old; a text by bishop Leidrade mentions that it was restored in the 9th century. Bossan took his inspiration from the gothic architecture of the end of the middle ages, judging by the classical stone tracery work, which runs all the way around the church. The nave is furnished with paintings and furniture from the 19th century in keeping with the uniformity of the church. Saint Georges is considered to be one of the more traditionalist churches of Lyons.
At the end of the XIX century (1876-1898), Abraham Hirsch designed and supervised the construction on the left bank of the Rhône of the two buildings which were to house the faculties of pharmacy and medicine. The sober, neoclassical style and the layout of the buildings are reminiscent of the prestigious Hôtel Dieu which Soufflot developed not far away on the right bank! Each of these buildings has a façade suited to the flow of the river as well as a central dome shaped building ! Well, does that remind you of anything? These two buildings nowadays form part of the universities of Lyons2 and Lyons3. A sad incident recently destroyed the major part of these two buildings (16-18 quai C. Bernard): on the 13th of June 1999, a fire destroyed the dome and the floors of the central building which housed the university library! A consider able loss since only part of the original stock was saved. Over 200000 works from the XIX-XX century were lost forever.
The original church of Saint Just, which wasn't found in its present location (11, Rue des Machabées), was destroyed in 1562 at the time of the wars between the Catholics and the Protestants. Archaeological excavations in 1971 revealed the foundations of the 5th century funeral basilica, built on a Roman necropolis. The church was reconstructed in 1591 inside the fortified town - the original was outside the walls - but it wasn't until the start of the 18th century that it had a chancel and a facade. That facade, just off the road, was designed by F. Delamonce and includes statues of Saint Just and Saint Irénée, and it is reminiscent of its neighboring early Cristian basilicas.