Saint-Jean Episcopal Palace (Palais Saint Jean)
4 Rue Adolphe Max
+33 4 72 10 30 30 (Tourist Information)
The domus ecclesia
(a Latin term referring to churches that took place in private homes) of Saint Jean has always been next to the cathedral, but the building which remains was expanded during the second half of the 15th Century by Charles de Bourbon, Archbishop of Lyon at that time. This palace is one of the rare examples of civil Gothic architecture inspired by the religious architecture from the end of the Middle Ages. The architect Jacques-Germain Soufflot made some changes between 1747 and 1749 by making the palace face Adolphe Max Street rather than the banks of the Saône. He designed two classical style porticoes and a monumental staircase to replace the side passages, recreating in his own style a classical architecture (see Hôtel Dieu, Loge du Change). Today the Palace Saint-Jean is used to store the municipal archives of Lyon and as an annex of the public library.