Duomo di Penne (Chiesa di San Massimo)
Via Muzio Pansa
Penne Pescara, 65017
The cathedral is found on a hill where pagan rites took place once upon a time. There are remains of cult settlements here and Roman remains have been found in the area which testify that it is an ancient, holy place. Before the cathedral was built, which is dedicated to Santa Maria degli Angeli and to San Massimo, there were at least two Christian churches here. Material was found during restorations that documents the story of the church throughout the centuries from before the year 1000. Before the 11th Century, it was Romanesque, and in the 14th Century it became Gothic. It was restored at the beginning of the last century, and was seriously damaged by the 1944 bombings, and rebuilt in 1955. The facade was rebuilt in brickwork, but the lateral door dates from 1574 and the bell tower from the 14th Century. The interior is a latin cross shape with three naves containing pointed arches. The main altar in the presbytery is from the 12th Century, and, although it was rebuilt after the bombings, it still has original parts. The oldest part of the church is the crypt, which dates from before the year 1000. It has oriental, marble and granite columns that date from the classical building period, and there are remains of frescoes from the 12th and 13th Centuries. There is a distinctive holy water font which has a mix of medieval and Renaissance elements.