600 S Governor Printz Blvd., Lester, PA, US, 19029
- Phone: (610) 521-3909
- Fax: (610) 521-1704
Tu to Su from 09:00 AM to 05:00 PMIn 1751, William Penn asked that the new bell being cast for the Pennsylvania Statehouse be engraved with the words, “Proclaim LIBERTY throughout all the Land unto all the inhabitants thereof.” The bell rang to call citizens to the first reading of the Declaration of Independence, and was later dubbed The Liberty Bell by abolitionists, who adopted the bell as a symbol of their fight for freedom for all Americans. Talks on the history of the bell are presented continually during open hours, which vary season to season.