722 York Rd.
Kings Mountain, NC 28086
Phone: (704) 739-7070
Fax: (704) 739-7117
Climb rugged peaks rising 800 feet above the surrounding countryside at this park that is well known for its rock climbing opportunities and is one of the busiest parks in North Carolina. Other features of the park include over 15 miles of hiking and nature trails, numerous picnic facilities, water sports activities, and a primitive pack-in camp.
This park is a great way to reflect on the revolutionary war that took place on October 7, 1980. Kings Mountain National Military Park, listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1996, beautifully commemorates the Battle of Kings Mountain, which was a first major patriotic victory to have happened after the British invasion of Charleston in May 1780. No wonder Thomas Jefferson referred to it as a turning point event. The park offers an adventurous mix of camping, picnicking, hiking trails and a functional history farm. Admission is free and an average visit would probably take one to two hours.
The largest flying American flag in the world, this 7,410 square foot flag is 65 feet tall, 114 feet wide, and weighs 180 pounds. The flag is visible for 30 miles from its location.
Features three-eighteen hole miniature golf courses, an arcade and batting cages.
The Hoyle House in Dallas, North Carolina was the home of Pieter Heyl, a German miller. An extraordinary example of German-American architecture, the two floored house was constructed sometime in the mid 1700s. It underwent various alterations over the years as it was passed from generation from generation and today one can see a mix of many architectural styles, with evident Federal and Georgian influences. The property was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1993.
The Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden is a 450 acre landscape of lush green plants and colorful flowers. Visitors can get lost in the beauty of nature's bounty in the nine themed gardens, which include the Canal Garden, the Cottage Garden, the Conifer Garden and the West Garden. The 12 remarkable waterfalls and the woodland trail make up for a perfect day under the sun. This place is a haven for all those interested in photography, bird watching, gardening and painting. You can opt for a guided tour or simply roam around on your own.
Located on the 650 acre campus of the Belmont Abbey College, this beautiful church was once the only abbey cathedral in the nation and was first used by American Indians in the area, then later used as a block upon which slaves were sold. The exquisite painted glass windows won a gold prize at the Colombian Exposition in 1893.
Located in the Belmont Abbey Historic District, Belmont Abbey College, is one of the oldest liberal arts college in southeast United States. Located within the college are an academic library with a wonderful collection of rare books, a theater and several intercollegiate athletic facilities. Founded by the Benedictine monks of Belmont Abbey in 1876, the school is affiliated to the Roman Catholic Church and the Order of Saint Benedict. Belmont Abbey College offers undergraduate courses to students of all races, religions and backgrounds.
The First Presbyterian Church at Lincolnton in North Carolina is precisely located at West Main Street. Erected in 1900s era, the ancient church welcomes diverse people from various ages as well as nature. It imbibes love and faith in Jesus and strives for the spiritual growth of worshipers. It featured on the National Register of Historic Places.
Extensive genealogical and historical research related to the area is available at this historical center that contains thousands of county records, photographs, documents, and historical objects relating to York County.
Genealogical resources in local history is available at this local library that offers a wide range of books, magazines, audio and videotape books, CDs, and newspapers. Children's services are also available, as well as an Internet access center.
The First United Methodist Church is a famed historic church site in the Lincolnton region of North Carolina. Built in 1919, the church house is accurately situated at 201 E. Main Street. It occupies less than one acre of land area and stands stern even today. Designed by architects Carlton, C. W. it is a fine example of the Classical Revival style of architecture. The monumental church building has been listed in the National Register of Historic Places as from December 14, 1994.