Quality Inn & Suites
700 North Beachview Drive
Jekyll Island, GA 31527
Phone: (912) 635-2202
Fax: (912) 635-2927
700 North Beachview Drive, Jekyll Island, GA, US, 31527
- Phone: (912) 635-2202
- Fax: (912) 635-2927
A rehabilitation hospital for turtles, this center offers educational opportunities for children and adults. With audio tours, a hands-on museum, exhibit gallery, a large viewing area huge viewing area where rescued and sick turtles are treated, visitors will learn about their habitats and the conservation efforts of the center. Visitors are also allowed to go behind the scenes and get up close to the turtles. There is a gift shop with books, souvenirs and other turtle related items. The center also offers field trips and summer camps. Closed New Year's Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Discounted admission for military, students and teachers with ID. -Natasha Lawrence
Constructed with tabby by Major William Horton, a military aid to General James Oglethorpe, this historic home on the island is one of the oldest plantation structure in Georgia. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the site is open to visitors free of charge. Concerts, weddings and other events are held here. Self-guided tours include the ruins, markers and historic DuBignon family cemetery across the street. Preservation efforts have been extensive and are ongoing to preserve a way of life that existed long ago. -Natasha Lawrence
Constructed in 1904, the Faith Chapel is a monumental chapel built on Old Plantation Road in Jekyll Island, Georgia. The building somewhat resembles the early colonial meetinghouse and is coupled with enhancing elements that are inspired by the Gothic style of architecture. An eminent highlight of the chapel is the striking stained-glass window - a representation of the Christ child - that adorns at the end of the chapel. The chapel is a fine option for wedding functions, memorial services and renewal of vows. It can accommodate as many as 110 people and wedding reservations imply access to an hour-long rehearsal time, and exquisite bride and groom staging rooms.
Managed by Jekyll Island Museum, Indian Mound Cottage is the restored home of William Rockefeller, co-founder of Standard Oil Co. Inc. Constructed in 1892, the three-story house got its name from the mound located in the front yard, considered to have been used as a burial ground by the Guale Indians, but which turned out to be nothing more than ordinary shells. The restoration process included replacing the cedar shake roof, renovating the porch railings and the addition of antique-style carpets.
Adjacent to Jekyll Island Park, two hotels and beaches, this 128,000-square-foot oceanfront facility contains meeting rooms, ballroom and exhibit spaces, shops, restaurants, bookstores, restrooms and visitor services. It also features electric car charging stations and bike racks. The main venue halls are the Grand Oaks Hall and the Magnolia Hall. With a panoramic view of the beaches, this center offers guests of Jekyll Island an outstanding place to visit while exploring the rest of the historic island. -Natasha Lawrence
Located at the southern tip of St. Simons Island, this lighthouse has helped ships navigate safely, since its establishment, and continues to do so till date. St. Simons Island Light is an 104 feet (31.69 meters) tall structure constructed in the 19th Century that replaced the original one. Approximately a century later, the St. Simons Island Light was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.
After passing through the entrance gate toward Jekyll Island, the first stop for any visitor is the Jekyll Island Welcome Center. It offers brochures, pamphlets, maps and all things relating to Jekyll Island. Friendly attendants will gladly answer questions about what's happening on the island and offer assistance to newcomers. There is a playground for children to play on and a viewing platform where you can see the Port of Brunswick, Sidney Lanier Bridge and St. Simons Island. Restrooms are available as well as vending machines. -Natasha Lawrence
A hands-on environmental education center for all ages that offers a variety of educational programs include beach and saltmarch ecology walks, plankton labs, and summer camps for children.
With direct access to Jekyll Islands beaches, this 20-acre park offers bus and vehicle parking, picnic tables, restrooms, showers and shade pavilions. It also has a playground, decks, walkways, natural gardens and lighting that is safe for turtles. There is also a disabled accessible path on the soft sand beach. Adjacent to the park is the convention center that houses a variety of restaurants and shops. -Natasha Lawrence
A full service marina that offers a wide range of services and amenities such as marine supplies, hardware and nautical charts, floating docks, gas and oil, laundry facilities, dry storage and wet slips, ample dockage space for transient traffic, service to Glynco Jetport Brunswick, and courtesy cars for overnight guests.
Established in 1736 by James Oglethorpe to protect the southern boundary of his new colony of Georgia, this historic national site includes remnants of a tabby fortress the British built in the 1730s as a bulwark against Spanish invaders from Florida. Hiking and nature trails are on site and historical tours are available.
Overlooking the Frederica River, this area was a favorite Native American campground, and during Colonial days, the landing at the bluff became Georgia's first naval base and bears the name of the man, Gascoigne, who first surveyed the Georgia coast for England. Live oak timbers milled here in 1794 were used in building "Old Ironsides," the USS Constitution, in 1874, and timbers were also cut here for the Brooklyn Bridge.