2810 Vine St.
Hays, KS 67601
Phone: (785) 628-8008
Fax: (785) 628-8132
This is the original Plymouth Country Schoolhouse that was built from 3,000 quarried limestone blocks in 1874 in eastern Russell County. It was dismantled block by block and reassembled at the current location along the banks of Big Creek and across the street from Tomanek Hall. The Fort Hays State University Chapter of Phi Delta Kappa completed the restoration project of the 927 square foot structure in 1979 and furnished it with school antiques and textbooks.
Pioneer outpost established in 1865.
The Hays Public Library, consistently ranked among America's top libraries by the HAPLR, is located in the beautiful and historic Chestnut Street District of Downtown Hays. They offer internet access stations and Wi-Fi, periodical & book reading areas, and an art gallery. In addition to its many resources, the Library hosts many activities for youth and adults alike, including live music, special presentations by authors, games and crafts for youth, lectures and discussions, and more. The Hays Public Library features Children's and Young Adult Departments which sport large collections of books, graphic novels, music CDs, and games, and include separate computer labs for their respective youths. The Dorothy D. Richards Kansas Room is a specialized resource for Kansas History and Genealogical research. The library is also home to the Friends of the Library used book store.
Volga German immigrant house constructed of limestone.
Come to our Veterans Park. Full of fun and adventure.
The Hays Municipal Park is one of the many parks that dot the friendly city of Hays. This one is a favorite with tennis players who are often spotted enjoying a game or two at the well-maintained courts. The gardens within house an interesting range of flora and fauna as well, much to the delight of curious kids and adults. Weekends and summers get particularly busy as community events, gigs and festivities are a regular occurrence here.