St Michael's Church (Hauptkirche St. Michaelis)
Englische Planke 1a
+49 40 37 6780
One of the city's major landmarks, the Lutheran church of St. Michealis was originally built in the early 17th century. It still stands today as a mark of strength against destruction, after several instances in which conditions literally threatened to bring the structure down. Destroyed by lightening in 1661, it was replaced by a baroque building in 1786, after which the church was destroyed by a fire yet again in 1906, but was immediately rebuilt thereafter. In the years that followed, it sustained irreparable damage in the two world wars, and was renovated yet again. The tower offers marvelous views of the city and still plays host to a 300-year-old tradition, whereby a trumpet player plays a hymn facing north, then south, then east and west. Check the website to know more.