Quality Hotel Ambassador Hamburg
Phone: (49) 40 2388230
Fax: (49) 40 230009
Heidenkampsweg 34, Hamburg, DE, 20097
- Phone: (49) 40 2388230
- Fax: (49) 40 230009
The central mosque of the Turkish community in St. Georg is indeed very centrally located. Many other and often smaller mosques where actively religious Muslims can gather for prayers are also spread all over the city of Hamburg. This one in the city centre is open from 4:30am to midday, but there can be minor seasonal changes. The fact that people of other denominations are also welcome at the central mosque reveals the Turkish community´s openness towards other cultures and beliefs.
This church is located in the lively St. Georg neighborhood. The cathedral has two great spires which make it easy to identify. It was the first Catholic place of worship to be built in Hamburg after the Reformation. The architectural style is neo-roman. Since 1993, the cathedral has been known as the Mariendom. It is the residence of the bishop for Hamburg's, Silesia-Holstein and Mecklenburg's bishop. The original Mariendom was torn down in 1806 after it was found to be unsafe.
In the multicultural neighbourhood of St. Georg a number of religious beliefs other than the Protestant or Catholic church have their places of worship. They co-exist in tolerance and mutual acceptance here in Hamburg, and their mosques and temples contribute to the lively cityscape. The Al-Muhajirin mosque at Kirchenallee is one of those places of worship. It is the Arabian community´s mosque. The building near the main railway station is open from midday until 10pm daily. The Arabian cultural society is also located near the station at 55 Adenauerallee.
Built in 1901-06, Hamburg's central station is regarded as one of the city's finest examples of turn-of-the-century architecture. With its huge, 35 meters high, 120 meters wide and 140 meters long glass and steel main hall, the station dominates this part of the city centre. Continually modernized over the decades, the station now incorporates a shopping centre and several snack bars and cafés. While two other stations (Dammtorbahnhof and Bahnhof Altona) also serve the city, most long-distance trains depart and leave from the main station. Numerous hotels are located within easy walking distance of the station.
Proudly declared the largest lift bridge in the world when it was opened on 21st March 1973, Kattwyk Bridge is a technological masterpiece of which the city is rightly proud. Four wires lift the motorists' lane to a height of 53 metres above sea level, which is just as high as Köhlbrandt Bridge, but not as long. Spanning the southern Elbe between Wilhelmsburg and Moorburg, the impressive construction serves to connect the harbour with the railway line. In 1991 a freighter mysteriously crashed into the bridge, causing (EUR 5) million worth of damage.
The chapel of St.Georg´s hospital used to be located on the same spot as the Dreieinigkeitskirche today. It was appointed as a parish church in 1627. From 1743-47 a new church with a 65 metre steeple was erected here. Only the steeple survived the damage caused by World War II, and from 1954-57 the church we see today was built according to another new design. Inside the church there is a nice trinity mosaic by Karl Knappe, as well a a crucifixion scene in bronze. In the churchyard you will find a statue of St. George fighting the dragon. It was created by Garhard Marcks in 1958. Opens on Saturdays at 2p.
This monstrous building is the largest of its kind in the Kontorhaus quarter, and takes up two complete blocks. Sprinkenhof also spans the Springeltwiete street. It was built in three stages from 1927-1943 by the famous local architect Fritz Höger. Its brick facade is covered with terracotta arranged to look like a net. The interplay of color and light, and the inner courtyard's gold-plated stones, and beautiful windows make this building totally unique.
The underground line U4 station at the Hafencity Universität is not a normal stop. Twelve light cubes are installed at the station and they shine down on waiting passengers in different colors. If you just happen upon the station and are waiting for a train to arrive or if you came to the station for the architecture, you'll be enchanted by the lights. Every hour you can experience a light show to the sound of classical music.
St. Jacobi Church, an ancient structure dating back to 1255, houses one of the most famous organs said to have been played by legendary composer Bach and built by Arp Schnitger in 1693. The Gothic brick building on this site was built in the 13th and 14th centuries, but has constantly been changed and enlarged throughout the years. In 1944, a bomb hit the church's steeple and destroyed the dome. Luckily, most of the valuable interiors were saved and from 1951-1953, the Protestant church was restored to its former glory and given a new steeple-top. The interior of the church is unimposing despite its decorative and valuable decor, and there are three altars here dating from the 15th and 16th centuries. Check the website to know more.
One of the main shopping streets in the city, the “Mö” is a place to see and be seen. Named after the mayor who oversaw the building work in 1908, it links the Rathausmarkt with the main railway station. Lined with imposing office buildings made of brick or sandstone, the road is also home to two of Hamburg's most important churches (St. Petri Kirche and St. Jacobi Kirche), the Mönckebrunnen fountain and the Levantehaus, a traditional Kontorhaus-turned-shopping center, which also houses the exclusive Park Hyatt hotel.
The Protestant parish church of St. Gertrud is nicely situated on the Kuhmühlenteich. Johannes Otzen built it from 1881-85 in the neogothic style. Interestingly, its walls were made of more than 450 different kinds of bricks. Inside the church there are several galleries carried by arcades. In the late 1980s well-preserved parts of the old St. Nikolai church windows were fitted into St. Gertrud´s windows. St. Nikolai was destroyed in World War II. The metro line U2 provides you with a nice view of St. Gertrud´s on the way from Mundsburg station to the Uhlandstraße stop.
Evangelisch-Reformierte Kirche was initially established for the followers of Calvinism in the Protestant movement of the middle ages. This reformed Evangelist church welcomes all who want to visit and take part in the services provided. Communion and baptism are offered at this historically and culturally rich establishment, and the church also donates to its charitable arm, the old age home. With a 24 hour ambulance service, doctors and paramedics on its premises, Evangelisch-Reformierte Kirche ensures that the well being of everybody is seen to.