719 Bypass 25 NE
Greenwood, SC 29646
Phone: (864) 229-5329
Fax: (864) 229-4484
The Old Greenwood Cemetery is a historic burial ground and one of the oldest in the area. It is the final resting place of several notable people. It features 350 graves with splendid sculptures and memorial stones. It is featured on the National Register of Historic Places.
Regarded as a National Historic Landmark, the Ninety Six National Historic Site gets its name from the distance between this location and Keowee. But that is just one hypothesis. Having been the site of the first land battle in 1775, the site today, contains a museum that include war time artifacts, oil paintings and a video on the battle, that is available at the store. Tour guides are stationed around the park to help visitors know more about the place and its heritage.
Abbeville Historic District dates back to the 19th Century. This neighborhood is a melting pot of several architectural styles including the likes of Gothic Revival, Queen Anne and Victorian styles. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1972 and a visit here is definitely interesting. Some of the district landmarks include the courthouse and opera hall.
Established in 1860, Trinity Episcopal Church and Cemetery was founded by Thomas Parker. Once a small clapboard building that was used as a place of worship, this structure underwent a huge reconstruction under the guidance of George Walker. He used solid brick to built the building and covered the exterior that looked like cement. It also has a touch of Victorian style of architecture and has a huge gold cross placed on the spire. The church has a beautiful cemetery nearby built for the veterans of Confederate service.
Spread over 185 acres (75 hectares) of land, the Due West Historic District is a historic site that comprises of around 88 properties. Among the 88, the Eskine College Campus stands as one of the historical sites, along the Eskine college, some private homes, commercial structures and buildings are included as a part of this district.