4242 Lakeville Road
Geneseo, NY 14454
Phone: (585) 243-0500
Fax: (585) 243-9007
Ganoung Cobblestone Farmhouse is located in Lima in Livingston County, New York. This two-story house was constructed in the 1830s in the late Federal and early Greek Revival styles. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on August 31, 1989.
Aaron Barber Memorial Building is also known as the Avon Free Library. Built in 1928, this historic Colonial Revival building is on the National Register of Historic Places. It also houses several meeting rooms with ample seating for visitors to this place.
Spread over a land of 5 acres (2.0 hectares), the Genesee Wesleyan Seminary and Genesee College Hall are two historic structures at the Elim Bible Institute. The Genesee Wesleyan Seminary structure is a four and a half level structure that comprises of elements of Neoclassical style with bricks. The Genesee Hall is also a historic neoclassical structure that features a two and a half story structure and the five bay pillars at the facade add to the beauty of this structure.
This beautiful Hall that is built on the banks of the Silver Lake is a beautiful three level hall with an auditorium that covers two levels and holding a crowd of almost 1000 people. This beautiful architecture is a wooden frame home and is well preserved till today after it was first built in the year 1892. The hall also conducts Sunday services, and also organizes events like the musical programs on the evenings of the fifth day of the week in the summers.
Nestled in Garbutt hamlet, within the town of Wheatland, Garbuttsville Cemetery is one of the oldest cemeteries in Monroe County. In this relatively small cemetery, around 600 graves belong to those interred here in the 19th Century. John Garbutt, the first supervisor of Wheatland and a former member of New York State Assembly, has been laid to rest here. Garbuttsville Cemetery was added to the National register of Historical Places in 2006.
This historic Episcopal church has been serving the community of Scottsville since 1852. Though modest in size, the beautiful church building features striking architectural details. Notable features of the structure include the stained glass walls and conical roofs.
Established as a rural cemetery in 1858, the Machpelah has been expanding ever since. Encompassing an area of 24.7 acres (10.0 hectares), it is the final resting place of 5500 people. Veterans of several American Wars also form a part of this number. The Woodward Mausoleum and the park like setting of the cemetery look well maintained and preserved.
Incorporated in the National Register of Historic Places in 1977, the Dansville Public Library was founded in 1923. The Shepard family generously offered their residence to serve as a public library. In 2011, this historical library was completely renovated thereby, adding modern facilities for the library users.
The 18-acre (7.2-hectare) circle encompasses several monuments that are of historical significance. Some of the important landmarks here include the Soldiers and Sailors Monument, Wyoming County Courthouse, Augustus Frank House, and Warsaw Public Library. This architecturally-beautiful circle is charming and reflects Warsaw's heritage and culture.
This building that was constructed in 1846 was an educational institute and later housed a masonic temple. It is a fine example of the Greek Revival style of architectural design and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
This 431-acre park is located on land that once was owned by the county "poor house" in the late 1800s. It is the first and oldest county forest in the state. The park has gently rolling hills and five small ponds. There are six miles of trails that can be used for hiking, cross-country skiing and snowshoeing. There are also snowmobile trails. The trail system also has Braille and large-print signs. The interpretive center has many hands-on exhibits for children. Other park amenities include picnic tables, grills, horseshoe pits, volleyball nets, playground equipment and baseball fields. - Christine A. Smyczynski
This 14,350-acre state park, which is 17 miles long, is known as the "Grand Canyon of the East" because of its 600-foot-deep gorge. Deep in the gorge, the Genesee River flows over 20 waterfalls, including three main ones. The park has 66 miles of hiking trails, along with trails for horseback riding, snowmobiling, and cross-country skiing. The land was once owned by William Pryor Letchworth, a Buffalo businessman, who donated the land to the state in 1859. Letchworth's former country estate, the Glen Iris Inn, is now a country inn and restaurant. Camping is also available at the park year-round. - Christine A. Smyczynski