Santa Maria presso Santa Satiro
3 Via Speronari
+39 02 87 4683
This extremely famous church is linked to the name of Bramante. In actual fact, nearby S. Satiro has a much older foundation which was influenced by Bishop Ansperto and generally dates from the 9th century. However, the old building is almost unrecognisable following the works of the renaissance period and the nineteenth restorations. The design of the church is attributed to Bramante who presence on the site is documented in 1478. The church occupies a plot of land delineated by what is Via Torino and Via del Falcone today, an old district of the Visconti-Sforzesca era. The choir-stall is particularly original as it is small yet very deep. On the left side of the transept is a chapel 'della Pieta' where there is a Greek cross contained in a cylinder by Bramante which one can admire from Via del Falcone. There is the famous model group in the inside in polychrome terracotta, which is the work of Agostino de Fondulis (1482-83), who also made the terracotta decorations of the sacristy and dome. The sacristy is an octagonal building, by Bramante which is reached by a small hall from the right nave modified in the 19th century. This interesting building was one of the highlights of Bramante's work, evidence of which is all over the Duchy of Sforzesco. The 'caged' church exterior is a result of the later buildings which do not allow a wide view of the church, nonetheless the facade can be seen from Via del Falcone as planned by Bramante.