Park of the Basiliche
Via Antonio Banfi
The park backs onto the San Lorenzo Cathedral and encompasses a surface area of 40,000 square metres. In ancient times, several waterways met in this area and then flowed into the canal. From 1000 to 1814, for eight centuries, the gallows of Milan towered here; above the Vettabia canal there was the bridge Dei Sospiri (of sighs), where those condemned to be hanged passed. It was the zone where hide tanners called vetraschi had their workshops, and from which came the name of the square. The park, planned after the war by architects Bagatti Valsecchi and Grandi, is surrounded by animated bars which, in the summer, are ideal for an outdoor aperitif.