Park of Monza
+39 393 23 222
Monza Park was created between 1805-10 on the orders of Luigi di Beauharnais, the Napoleonic viceroy, as an extension of the gardens of the Villa Reale to create a model estate and hunting grounds. Designed by Luigi Canonica, a pupil of Piermarini, and Luigi Villoresi, it was enlarged in 1840 by Giovanni Brenna. The park is one of Lombardy's largest green areas and the largest enclosed park in Europe. It has a perimeter of 14 km and covers 800 hectares; it has 3 woods, cultivated areas, mills, farmhouses and villas and was landscaped to create long straight views that once divided the various areas to suit the court. The Autodromo was built in it in 1920 (one of the first race tracks) and has continued to take up more space ever since, changing the nature of the park. The construction of 150,000 seats on 1 million sq. metres of land brought the destruction of various sections of woodland. There are also various other sporting facilities: 9 and 18 hole golf courses, tennis courts and a riding school bring thousands of visitors and sports fans every Sunday.