Via Europa, 4, Garbagnate Monastero, IT, 23846
- Phone: (39) 031 851700
- Fax: (39) 031 851411
Appian Line offers a host of local sight-seeing tours under the guidance of experienced, multilingual experts. You can take a walking tour of this historic city and even explore it by night. Whatever your needs and preferences, Appian Line will ensure that you have a memorable experience. For more information, please visit the website.
This extremely famous church is linked to the name of Bramante. In actual fact, nearby S. Satiro has a much older foundation which was influenced by Bishop Ansperto and generally dates from the 9th century. However, the old building is almost unrecognisable following the works of the renaissance period and the nineteenth restorations. The design of the church is attributed to Bramante who presence on the site is documented in 1478. The church occupies a plot of land delineated by what is Via Torino and Via del Falcone today, an old district of the Visconti-Sforzesca era. The choir-stall is particularly original as it is small yet very deep. On the left side of the transept is a chapel 'della Pieta' where there is a Greek cross contained in a cylinder by Bramante which one can admire from Via del Falcone. There is the famous model group in the inside in polychrome terracotta, which is the work of Agostino de Fondulis (1482-83), who also made the terracotta decorations of the sacristy and dome. The sacristy is an octagonal building, by Bramante which is reached by a small hall from the right nave modified in the 19th century. This interesting building was one of the highlights of Bramante's work, evidence of which is all over the Duchy of Sforzesco. The 'caged' church exterior is a result of the later buildings which do not allow a wide view of the church, nonetheless the facade can be seen from Via del Falcone as planned by Bramante.
On the southern side of Piazza dei Mercanti, there is the 'Loggia degli Osii', where, from the balcony or 'parlera', the edicts and sentences issued by the municipal government were read. Dating to the early 14th century, commissioned by Matteo Visconti, it underwent refurbishing operations in the early 20th century.
At the centre of Piazza dei Mercanti, once a quadrangle enclosed on all four sides, one finds Palazzo della Ragione, what was known as the 'Broletto', commissioned by the ruler of the city Oldrado da Tresseno (1228-1233) who is depicted in an equestrian monument in a niche on the façade facing the piazza. The rectangular-plan building consists of a loggia on the ground floor, which today is higher than the surroundings due to the successive lowering of the street level. In 1771 another floor was added, the so-called "Teresian extension", for the Notarial Archive: it can be recognized from the large elliptic windows. The monument was restored during the 1970s.
This ancient medieval building, that once housed municipal offices and legal institutions, was rebuilt from 1562 on as 'Palazzo dei Giureconsulti' to a design by Vincenzo Seregni. The building, formed by a loggia and a tower, a 16th-century sheath built around the original 13th-century construction, is based on the architecture of Galeazzo Alessi. The complete design included an overall refurbishment of the ancient Piazza Mercanti to create a new forum, and this was partially executed with the construction, on the south side of the piazza, of the 'Scuole Palatine' building. In the 19th century, the street named Via Mercanti was opened up, totally modifying the original concept and rendering it totally unrecognizable.
Houses the Gallery and Library, two very important institutions in the city. Founded by Federico Borromeo as a centre for counter-reform culture, it gradually accumulated numerous collections of art and books. From the first nucleus, facing Piazza S. Sepolcro, the institution expanded to occupy the entire block. Feature of interest: The immense collection of the library includes the Codice Atlantico by Leonardo da Vinci.
The gigantic central square in front of Milan cathedral has always been a reference point for Milan's town planners. It was a meeting point for important roads before and during the Roman period. In the 4th century, it was a religious centre with the construction of the Basilica of Santa Tecla, and the Baptistry of San Giovanni alle Fonti (both demolished in the mid-14th century and their foundations can be seen below the space in front of the cathedral). Since 1386, the cathedral has been the religious and cultural centre of the city. Symmetrical porticoes line the longer sides (with the Arengario pavilions built in 1939 and the Royal Palace on the south side and Galleria on the north side). In the centre stands the equestrian statue of Vittorio Emanuele II by Ercole Rosa (1878) which was covered until a few years ago by flashing advertising signs.
Created by the incorporation of several preceding buildings, its present 16th-century appearance was commissioned by the Cusani family: ownership successively passed to the Erba Odescalchi family. The complex, in part incoherent, architecture is based on two successive courtyards with a garden. The decorative elements are particularly interesting, a fine balance between tradition and innovation.
The seat of government in the city was originally the Palazzo del Broletto, where the municipal institutions were located. It became a noble residence during the rule of the Torriane and Visconti families, who gave it its shape that can in part still be seen, based on a system of two courtyards. Partially demolished to make way for the Cathedral nave, the building was refurbished after 1452 by Francesco Sforza. Used as the seat of power by the Spanish rulers, it underwent substantial modifications until the late 18th century, in particular the extensive work by Giuseppe Piermarini. Alongside the volumes of the Palazzo there is the Arengario, seat of the Palazzo del Turismo, with its two pavilions designed in 1939 (and completed in 1956) by the architects Enrico Agostino Griffini, Pier Giulio Magistretti, Giovanni Muzio and Piero Portaluppi. Feature of interest - On the first floor of the Palazzo, there is the famous 'Sala delle Cariatidi', in the location of the ancient theatre destroyed by fire in 1776. This hall is now undergoing restoration.