4681 Gemini Pl
Fort Worth, TX 76106
Phone: (817) 740-1099
Fax: (817) 740-8228
Arts & Museums
The centerpiece of this fascinating collection of antique warbirds is the last remaining B-29 that still takes flight. Just north of the Stock Yards, the Vintage Flying Museum features 20 different aircraft's that date from the 1930s to as late as the 1960s. Get up close and personal with these rare artifacts as you learn the ins and outs of aviation from the knowledgeable museum docents. Tucked away in a hanger at the Meacham Airport, the museum is home to the Commemorative Air Force B-29/B-24 Squadron where these classic aircraft's are maintained, preserved, and restored.
Preserving the history of the Fort Worth Stockyards, this museum is a result of efforts made by the North Fort Worth Historical Society. The museum is housed in the Livestock Exchange Building. The antique display cases were restored to hold artifacts relating to the history of the Stockyards, as well as the meat packing industry and the railroads. Another exhibit focuses on Quanah Parker, the last Comanche Indian war chief. Children will love the exhibit of the lightbulb that has been burning since 1908. Admission is free.
The Texas Cowboy Hall of Fame is a museum that exhibits cowboy memorabilia from way back. It also hosts educational events about cowboy folklore around campfires. The National Day of American Cowboy festivities is also held here. The museum has a large collection of lifestyle wagons, buggies and other exciting exhibits. The Chisholm Trail Collection exhibits interesting cowboy artifacts and items. You can have your photo taken in the Jersey Lily photo parlor or pick up a souvenir from their gift shop. School and group educational tours are regularly arranged for.
Fort Worth's oldest fire station is apt for an exhibit celebrating the city's history. This station housed active firefighters from 1907-1980. In 1984, it reopened for the Texas Sesquicentennial with a new collection of memorabilia entitled "150 Years of Fort Worth." Photographs, assorted historical documents, paintings, posters and other artifacts from the late 1800s to the 1990s chronicle of the city's progress, from military outpost to cattle market to thriving modern city. Groups may schedule private tours two weeks in advance.
An exhausted cowboy slouches in his saddle after a hot, hard day of herding cattle over the plains. Frederic Remington, Charles M. Russell and a few other artists uniquely captured the struggle and challenge of the "Old West" with their art. Art collector, philanthropist and oilman Sid Richardson donated his personal collection of original art masterpieces to the museum, located in Fort Worth's Sundance Square Arts District. Features include both paintings and sculpture redolent of the early west.
Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln-they pass through here almost every other day. They're here on official visit of course but one can pass through here as a visitor too. One of only two birthplaces of American currency, the Bureau of Engraving and Printing conduct guided tours, giving one a peek into the intricacies that go into the money printing process. The facility also has a gallery/museum and three exhibits that are live demonstrations. The tours are also conducted in American Sign Language and Spanish. Audio description facilities are also provided for the visually impaired.
Gallery 414 has been around since 1995 and yet continues to consistently inspire with its unique exhibits and featured artists. The contemporary art displays here change regularly but share the common thread of being born from talented Fort Worth artists, both established and new. The subject matters and styles may change, but you're guaranteed to see some alternative works here that will enliven your sense of imagination and wonder.
English architect Howard Messer designed and built this magnificent home in 1899 for Fort Worth "Cattle Baron" William H. Eddleman. Ball-Eddleman-McFarland House is situated on a high bluff overlooking former pastureland and features stoic, towering gables, meticulously ornate trim, a red sandstone porch and copper finials in a traditional Victorian exterior. The interior is also exceptionally elaborate, with dark parquet floors, magnificent oak paneling and original, handcrafted wooden frameworks.
Often referred to as the state's oldest art museum, this facility has been in existence since 1892. The Modern Art Museum now houses more than 2800 sculptures, paintings, prints, photographs and other artworks created since World War II. The collection includes pieces by luminaries such as Pablo Picasso, Henri Matisse and Andy Warhol. Tours are open to the public every Saturday afternoon. The gift shop offers books, magazines, posters and other artistic memorabilia as well as educational toys. The museum hosts various art classes for patrons of all ages throughout the year.
Architect Louis I. Kahn won an award from the American Institute of Architects for this building's striking design. He used a series of arched glass ceilings to let in natural light and enhance the presentation of the many important pieces in the museum collection. The artwork comes from all over the world, with maestros such as Renoir, Picasso, Rubens and Rembrandt represented. Those desiring more exotic artwork will enjoy the Asian, African and Mediterranean collections. The Buffet Restaurant is open daily, offering different kinds of light fare depending on the time of day. Admission to the permanent collections is free.
The Amon Carter Museum has one of the largest permanent collections of American Art. The artwork consists of pieces from the 1830s to the late 20th Century from great American artists such as Alexander Calder, Thomas Cole, Thomas Eakins, Georgia O'Keeffe, and Alfred Stieglitz. There is also a permanent exhibit of Amon Carter's personal collection of Frederic Remington and Charles M. Russell, who are considered to be the best artists of the American West. With more than 30,000 prints, the museum has one of the finest photography collections in the US.
Lavish elegance and opulence are the foundation of this Georgian Revival house. Built in 1903 during the Cattle Baron Era of the West, Thistle Hill was designed and occupied by Electra Waggoner—daughter of cattleman William T. Waggoner—and her husband. Today it is considered a historic landmark and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.The house contains 18 rooms, each filled with turn-of-the century furnishings. Oak-paneled halls and solid limestone pillars are just a few of the fine craftsmanship details. The house is known as much for its architectural design elements as it is for the families who occupied it. Guided tours, which begin on the hour, are offered to provide insight on the family and the house's design and creation, as well as on local history.