Alte Kanzlei (The Old Office)
+49 711 22 28 0
Originally built in the 16th Century, Alte Kanzlei (The Old Office) was connected to Altes Schloß (The Old Castle) through a hallway on the upper floor and served as an administrative center for the principality. The head cook of the castle also found enough space here to keep a pantry. From 1865 onwards it also housed the court's pharmacy. The Alte Kanzlei used to have three portals; one of them was destroyed by fire. To the side of the Schloßplatz is the statue of Mercury with a Cossak fountain. The statue is a copy of the original by Giovanni da Bologna, which was set in zinc and later covered with gold.