Quality Hotel Dudley
Dudley, EN DY1 4RN
Phone: (44) 1384 458070
Fax: (44) 1384 457502
Birmingham Road, Dudley, EN, GB, DY1 4RN
- Phone: (44) 1384 458070
- Fax: (44) 1384 457502
Located in the busy area of Kates Hill, St John's Church is an Anglican church. Construction of this place of worship dates back to the 19th Century, and its architectural style is Victorian. However, the St John's Church is remnant of 15th Century with medieval Perpendicular Gothic pattern. There is a beautiful churchyard having picturesque view of Dudley. English Heritage has marked St John's Church as a Grade II listed structure. The church is not functional since 2002 as it was closed on safety grounds, and therefore, "St John's Church Preservation Group" are actively campaigning for the church to be reopened.
Dudley castle now lies mostly in ruins, albeit rather impressively so and its hilltop location offers dramatic panoramic views. Set on a vast site, the zoo below is home to a wide variety of animals from every continent. These include endangered species as well as more commonplace examples like goats and cattle. The zoo also carries out important work to help with the continued survival of endangered animals and there is an adopt-an-animal scheme for those who would like to help with this work. Other attractions include a bouncy castle, discovery center and face painting. For more details, call ahead on the toll free number +44 844 474 2272
Church of St. Edmund in Dudley is locally called "Bottom Church". It occupies immense monumental value and is honored with Grade II listed status. The church site was constructed in 970 CE and demolished during English Civil War. The church was rebuilt in 1724 and is a massive representation of distinctive architecture, built with red-stone bricks. The church has a chancel, south porch, aisles, nave and huge tower on the west. The interiors, in spite of alterations, still holds it erstwhile pew, pulpit and gallery. The services of church are held regularly here.
Dudley Priory is the Grade I listed site of remains of ancient priory in Dudely, West Midlands. Gervase Paganel established in the year 1160 in the memory of his father. The Priory later dedicated to Saint James. The priory was enlarged in the 14th Century, dedicating it to Virgin Mary. The area around the priory industrialized and ruins of the church were used by thread manufacturer, a tanner, grinding glass and steel polishing. To relocate the the people from the slums, Dudley Priory was included in the Priory estate.
Originally established in the 12th Century, Church of St. Thomas was rebuilt in the 19th Century when the building was closed and declared unsafe. This beautiful parish church is locally known as "Top Church" and will surely amaze you by its architectural grandeur. In 1969, Dudley St. Thomas was abolished to form Dudley St. Thomas & St. Luke Ecclesiastical Parish. English Heritage has designated this a Grade II listed status. This church is worth visiting if you are looking for a religious family outing.
Situated in Dudley, Birmingham, the Wrens Nest National Nature Reserve is a Site of Special Scientific Interest of geological importance. This place is known for its abundance of geological fossils, an abundance of bird and flower species. Some of the flowering plants found here are the Small Scabious and Milkwart which are rare species. The reserve is open to public for explorations through the year. Visit their site to know more about visiting schedules and other such information.
Church of St. James the Great in Sedgley is an Anglican church located within the boundaries of Anglican Diocese of Worcester. The church was built in the 19th Century in the Gothic architectural style and subsequent alterations were made to the church building. This beautiful structure built from local yellow stone was designed by the architect Thomas Lee. The notable features of the church are its two porches, chancel, organ and the west tower. The has received Grade II listed building status.
A beautiful gabled timber-framed building, Oak House is one of the finest of its kind in the Midlands. It dates back to the 16th century and has a rare lantern tower which was probably added in the 17th century. There are paneled rooms inside and a fine collection of furniture. The gardens are very pleasant, and John Wesley once preached here. Admission is free, except for special events, and the house closes an hour earlier in winter.
Church of St. Andrew in West Bromwich belongs to both the Church of England and the Methodist Church. Swan Village Methodist Church and St. Andrew's share the joint services of this church for many years and both services are held at the same time. This medium-sized church holds regular Sunday services, weddings and congregation ceremonies. Visit the website for more details.
Surrounded by the South Staffordshire boundary, The Crooked House is a unique and distinctive public house in Himley. The house is approximately 4 feet (1.22 meters) raised from the ground level from one side because of mining subsidence in the 19th Century. It was originally used as a farmhouse and later became a public house (Siden House). The site is the popular place to visit, and currently operates as a restaurant and a pub ideal for families and groups. Visit the website for more.
At the time of its completion in 1829, Galton Bridge held the distinction of being the highest bridge in the world. Although originally built to carry vehicular traffic across the Telford's Birmingham Canal Navigation's New Main Line, today only pedestrians are permitted access to this historic bridge. It has been designated a Grade I listed monument for the brilliance and ingenuity that went it to its construction and impressive design.
Sandwell Priory was founded in the 12th Century as a medieval Benedictine monastery house. The site is known to have a turbulent history of the people of the community and the ecclesiastical institutions. Located in the beautiful landscape of the Sandwell Valley Country Park and Priory Woods Local Nature Reserve, the remains of the priory are worth visiting. The ruins include stone grave, church, chapels in the north, cloister and the tomb. The site is designated as a Scheduled Ancient Monument.