Sulpician Towers / Fort de la Montagne
2065 Sherbrooke Street West
Montreal, QC H3A 1G6
+1 514 873 2015 (Tourist Information)
Fort de la Montagne was built in 1685 to safe guard the mission, which involved converting the native people residing at the foot of Mount Royal to Christianity and end the rampant expansion of witchcraft. The structure of the fort also comprised two 43-feet towers built of stone to support the fort in 1694. The mid 19th century witnessed the destruction of the fort. Later excavation at that site disclosed the architecture of the fort through its remains. In 1970, these towers were listed as a National Historic Site of Canada.