1210 US 45 N.
Columbus, MS 39705
Phone: (662) 329-2422
Fax: (662) 327-0311
Established in 1877, this school is on the former site of the Confederate Arsenal. The school began in late 1865 as an education center for freed slaves.
This antebellum home was the site of the 1865 marriage of Stephen D. Lee and his bride, Regina Harrison.
This is the home of Dr. Theodoric James, who is believed to be Columbus' first African-American doctor. He built this home between 1906 and 1912 and it is still owned by his descendants.
The first home of the South's most prolific playwright now serves as the Welcome Center for Columbus and Lowndes County.
Robert Walker, born before the Civil War, was a slave who was a house servant for the Walker family. Here he was trained as a butler and caterer. He was the first African-American to own and operate an African-American hotel in Columbus in 1908.
Organized in 1833, this is the oldest African American church in North Mississippi. The church formed during the era of slavery and first began meeting in the basement of another local church. This structure was built in 1871. Tours are available.
Built by former governor, James Whitfield, Snowden is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and features 14 magnificent rooms, seven porches, a lovely rose garden, and a formal garden.
This site was the center of the African-American business district in the mid-twentieth century. It was also the focus of lodging and entertainment for the African-American community. It was constructed, owned and operated in 1909 by Robert Walker, who was once a slave. The hotel played host to such luminaries as Louis Armstrong, Pearl Bailey, B.B. King, Duke Ellington, Little Richard, and James Brown, as well as many professional baseball players.
A great little park for young and old.
Twelve Gables is famous for being the meeting place for the local ladies who planned the decoration of Confederate graves in 1866, leading to our nation's first Memorial Day. It is listed on the National Register.
Shadowlawn is a restored Greek Revival mansion with Gothic and Italianate details. It is listed on the National Register.
The Charles McLaren House or Riverview is a historical landmark nestled in Columbus. It applies the Greek Revival style of architecture and was included in the National Register of Historic Places in 2001.