Quality Hotel & Leisure Centre
Phone: (353) 23 8836400
Fax: (353) 23 8835404
Skibbereen Road, Clonakilty, IE
- Phone: (353) 23 8836400
- Fax: (353) 23 8835404
Arts & Museums
Dramatically rising from plains criss crossed by a spider's web of black stone walls, the remains of Coppinger's Court command attention. It was constructed in 1618 and burnt in 1641. Sir Walter Coppinger had left his home for a crucial meeting and had instructed his servants to destroy the house should he not return by a given hour. By an unfortunate mistake, Sir Coppinger was delayed in returning home and his unknowing servants burnt down Coppinger's Court. According to legend, its golden gates were thrown into nearby Lake Vickreen.
Near the sea front of beautiful Clonakilty, 1940s West Cork has been resurrected, but this time in miniature! The West Cork Model Railway Village attempts to reconstruct the West Cork of fifty years ago. The Village allows the older visitor to indulge in nostalgia, whilst the younger visitors can enjoy an interactive education. The ever-growing display will eventually consist of all six towns, once serviced by the railway in this part of Ireland.
Built in the 1500s by Maurice Bacach Fitzgerald, the Desmond Castle houses the International Museum of Wine. This museum narrates the story of the renowned Winegeese Irish families. Study the history of wine in Ireland or take a look at wine-related objects d'art. The collection comprises antique bottles, decanters, French wine jugs, sculptures and portraits of famous personalities. The Museum was started by Robert Marquis de Goulaine on 11th April 1997. Credit cards not accepted.
The Kinsale Regional Museum and Courthouse houses an elaborate display that describes every bit of the region's history in minute details.
Desmond Castle has throughout the years earned itself the nickname "The French Prison" - a signature still applied today. This sobriquet came about as a result of a fire in 1747 when 54 (mostly French) prisoners were killed. Built around 1500, the beautiful castle has been used for various purposes down the years: it has functioned as the noble home of the Earl of Desmond, as a jail and even as a workhouse during the Great Famine. Today, the castle's purpose is somewhat more salubrious and less depressing; it houses an International Museum of Wine, which is now open to the public.