Quality Hotel & Leisure Centre
Phone: (353) 23 8836400
Fax: (353) 23 8835404
Inchydoney island is a popular seaside destination. It is near Clonakilty. According to history, it was granted to the Bishop of Ross by Queen Elizabeth I. The beach is very popular with bathers and surfers alike. Visit here for a day-trip and return with many beautiful memories.
A small memorial center marks the birthplace of Michael Collins near Clonakilty. The house where Collins was born and lived for ten years remains in good condition. Also on site are the remains of another house, destroyed by the Black and Tans in 1921, where Collins lived before emigrating to London in 1906. Collins returned to Ireland at the age of 26 and participated in the 1916 Easter Rising. Dedicated to armed struggle against the British and a leader of the 1919-21 War of Independence, Collins earned the respect of his country's people.
This is a rare site; half of the original stones remain of this circle. All in all, there are five large standing stones and one white central stone. In addition, there's an 11 feet high Ogham Stone with inscriptions on both sides. One side features a cross while the other has some weather-beaten carvings. The stone circle is located near a church, which itself was built within a ringfort. The entire area is steeped in history and boasts a number of ruins plus some sandy beaches where you can stretch your eyes following all the peering at carvings and engravings.
Bohonagh is a prehistoric stone circle, a burial site of the Bronze Age. It is fairly clear and can be easily accessed from the N71. The tall stones set at a circular path are set in quartz. A cremated bone and charcoal was found from the middle pit.
Owenahincha is a popular beach in Rosscarbery. It is well-maintained and has a scenic location. Enjoy camping under the warm sun as you gaze out to the cool waters. Surfing can also be enjoyed by beginners. Swim in the waters or laze under the sun for an enjoyable time. Parking and toilet facilities are provided.
Though a small place, this town managed to have churches of two denominations, both with spectacular features. The Catholic Church contains a triple stained glass window by the famous Harry Clarke. The Church of Ireland chapel is decorated courtesy of HRH the Maharjah of Gwailor. Consequently, its interior is composed of mosaic and gold leaf. The mosaic of Christ found on the back wall is typical of the Oxford movement, whose style was highly decorative.
This Franciscan friary is typical of many found around the country. The friars here were merchants of a kind - before the silting of the river, they managed to import and sell Spanish wines. The Friary was eventually sacked by invaders in 1642; very little of it is left nowadays, though its ground plan is traceable, particularly the chapel, refectory, cloisters and the much-used wine cellar. It does have incredible sea views, however, and is in good walking country.
Constructed on an ancient Christian worship site, the Cathedral Church of St. Fachtna is an important historical landmark of the region. Functioning under the United Dioceses of Cork, Cloyne and Ross, this cathedral was built around 1612 and was renovated in the 19th Century. The size of a parish church, it is surrounded by the local village cemetery.
Once part of the enormous Herbert estate at Muckross, the road to this scenic vista was improved in honor of Queen Victoria's visit in 1861. The panorama inspired such awe and gasps of admiration from the Queen's ladies in waiting that it was dubbed "Ladies' View." From this point, the Upper Lake, Middle Lake, Black Valley, MacGillycuddy Reeks, and Gap of Dunloe are clearly visible. On a fine day, there are few sights in the world more impressive than this.
Lough Leane, Middle Lake, and Upper Lake all offer excellent salmon and brown trout fishing. Trolling for salmon with spoons or minnows is the most popular method. Fly-fishing for trout with wet flies is common, but spinners can be used as well. There is no course fishing in this district. Rods and tackle can be hired for (EUR8.88) per day. A 21-day Salmon license, which covers all of Ireland, is (EUR12.70), a daily license is (EUR 3.81). Daily licenses are required for trout. Gillie and boat for up to 4 people: (EUR126.97) per day.
This imposing castle stands four stories high. Although there's an inscription inside suggesting it was built in 1585, experts have speculated that its origin was somewhat earlier. The top floor was used for religious ceremonies up until the 19th century, and perhaps that explains why this castle is relatively well preserved. The corner turrets remain intact and a vaulted ceiling still supports the top floor. Wall carvings depict the wife of the builder, Robert Hurley, scenes from the Crucifixion, and some abstract geometric patterns. The castle is located between the towns of Dunmanway and Ballineen, across the river Bride.
Drombeg is undoubtedly the finest of the stone circles in County Cork. Dating back to about 150BC, this circle of 17 standing stones is 9m (30ft) in diameter. At the winter solstice, the rays of the setting sun fall on the flat altar stone which faces the entrance to the circle, marked by two upright stones. Nearby is a small stream with a Stone Age cooking pit. A fire was made in the hearth and hot stones from the fire were dropped into the cooking pit to heat water. Once the water boiled, the meat, usually venison, was added. It is Open all year.