103 Johnston Place
Clinton, MS 39056
Phone: (601) 924-0064
Fax: (601) 924-7141
103 Johnston Place, Clinton, MS, US, 39056
- Phone: (601) 924-0064
- Fax: (601) 924-7141
Located on the campus of Mississippi College, this historic building was spared the torches of General Sherman. The basement served as a stable for Union horses and the upstairs was used as a hospital.
This is the oldest cemetery in central Mississippi and burial site for families of pioneer settlers, college presidents, and Confederate soldiers.
Tree-shaded old brick streets are a highlight of this area. Historic homes and buildings abound with speciality shopping.
These grounds, created by Mynelle Westbrook Hayward as the ultimate home garden, were acquired by the city of Jackson in 1973. The seven acres of quiet countryside feature several distinct gardens, with pathways, pools and reflecting ponds. The estate has been used for garden parties, civic functions and as a retreat for World War II veterans. The facility is now used for a variety of functions including wedding receptions and corporate meetings. A gift shop features the work of Mississippi craftsmen.
This is a city location for Muslim worship and other services.
Not far from downtown Jackson, this zoo was founded more than 85 years ago. From modest origins, the park has expanded over the years to include animals from all over the globe, including a new lorikeet exhibit. In addition to housing the region's most impressive collection of primates and big cats, the park's Discovery Zoo has been recognized by the New York Times Travel Guide as one of the top children's zoos in the Southeast.
This statue on the Alcorn State campus honors famed alumnus Medgar Evers, an important figure in the Civil Rights Movement. The statue was dedicated in June of 2013, following the 50th anniversary of his assassination. The statue is crafted entirely of bronze and stands along the Mississippi Civil Rights Trail.
The unassuming home of Civil Rights activist and martyr Medgar Evers is located northwest of downtown Jackson on Margaret Walker Alexander Drive, a street bearing the name of one who continued the martyr's fight after his passing. This historic location is also the site of Evers' 1963 assassination. Although Evers is buried in Arlington National Cemetery in Washington D.C., the preserved home stands as a moving memorial to his sacrifice. Inside, relics of his life and work reveal insight into the man and his struggle, while various displays tell the story of the Civil Rights triumphs and tragedies that took place through the years in Mississippi.
Formerly the site of a historical health resort that was known from 1880 to 1920 as the "Saratoga of the South," this property is presently being fashioned into a historical park and art colony with plans for new buildings, a chapel, and camping and fishing sites.
Dr. Alexander has been a contributor to American letters for over fifty years. The author of such prize-winning books as Jubilee and For My People, Dr. Alexander is so widely respected that the city of Jackson named the street on which she lives in her honor, as well as the Jackson Public Library. The research center, located on Jackson State campus, is a focal point for the ongoing quest for racial harmony and equality. A visit to this engaging shrine to equality is an eye-opening experience for people of all races.
Jackson State University's 131-acre campus is a short drive from downtown, located in the southwest corner of the city. Established in Natchez in 1877, the campus was moved to Jackson in 1882 and eventually came under state sponsorship in 1940. Founded to train newly freed slaves and prepare them for life after bondage, the school today is devoted to the pursuit of personal enlightenment, scientific research and cultural development. The school's Tigers compete in many intercollegiate sports, and their "Sonic Boom" marching band has been acclaimed worldwide.
Saint Mark's Episcopal Church is a historic landmark in Raymond and features on the National Register of Historic Places. It was constructed in 1854 and its architectural characteristics are that of quintessential Greek Revival and Gothic Revival styles including the white facade and stained-glass windows.