The Christchurch Club Bulding
154 Worcester Street
+64 3 379 9629 (Tourist Information)
Built in 1862, the elegant wooden Christchurch Club building, overlooking Latimer Square, was an important centre for social and political life in Christchurch's early years. Just down the road from Cathedral Square, with its large trees and elegant grounds, bordered by a holly hedge, the design of this Italian-style building was surprisingly sophisticated for 1860s Christchurch. Still a private club for men, women are also now able to join--the first South Island club to introduce this innovation. It is worth a wander by, to view the outside architecture.