1255 Harrisburg Pike
Carlisle, PA 17013
Phone: (717) 243-6000
Fax: (717) 258-4123
1255 Harrisburg Pike, Carlisle, PA, US, 17013
- Phone: (717) 243-6000
- Fax: (717) 258-4123
Bosler is a community library that offers a variety of collections, services and programs with 98,000 books, magazines and videos.
The Two Mile House is a Federal-style limestone building that features 12 rooms, 10 of which contain fireplaces that feature Doric-style pilasters and a central panel with oval medallion. The Two Mile House is open to the public from May through September on Wednesday afternoon from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., or by appointment.
The James Given Tavern popularly known as the Two Mile House has adapted the Federal style of architecture. The house was a tavern and served patrons till 1857; this historical tavern was included in the U.S. National Register of Historic Places in 1992.
Amelia S. Givin Free Library was built in 1889 and features on the National Register of Historic Places. Its Romanesque Revival architectural features include hand carvings, arched windows and exquisite moorish fretwork. This public library is a neighborhood landmark.
The region of Camp Hill in the Cumberland County is bequeathed with an ancient Lutheran church site, namely the Peace Church. Dating back to 1798, it is also referred to as Die Friden Kirche and was founded by German farmers. This structure has adapted the Georgian style of architecture and is also included in the National Register of Historic Places.
A walk on the campus of the Messiah College can really be a treat to the senses. The sprawling lawns, the historic campus buildings, the gorgeous woods, and the beautiful river that flows adjacent to the campus, all make for a very education conducive atmosphere. One of the premier Christian colleges in the country, Messiah College has had its run of controversies, rewards, and stellar alumni. Nonetheless, the college still strives to provide its students an excellent overall education, while imbibing the Christian way of life and values on them. See the website or call to know more.
Dill's Tavern is a quaint little structure which was built in 1755. It has a mix of of the Early Republic and Colonial Revival styles of architecture. The tavern has undergone modifications in the later years, but has been preserved exceptionally well. Today, it functions as an interpretive history center and is open to public. The entire house can be explored by the visitors, so that they can have a feel of the 18th century living conditions. The facility is also available as a rental space for private events like weddings, meetings and reunions. A mix of modern facilities with the backdrop of an ancient structure is the perfect combination to host your intimate events.
Kings Gap offers a panoramic view of the Cumberland Valley and environmental education programs from the pre-school environmental awareness program to environmental problem solving programs. 16 miles of hiking trails interconnect three main areas and are open year-round.
The 696-acre Pine Grove Furnace State Park features two lakes: the 25-acre Laurel Lake and Fuller Lake, which is 1.7 acres. A National Historic Area, this park features such seasonal activities as picnicking, ice skating, boating, swimming, hiking, fishing, cross country skiing, bicycling, hunting, snowmobiling and camping.
The Historic Harrisburg Resource Center is your tourist information center for the city of Harrisburg. A visitor can be rest assured to get all the necessary information about the city at this center. From accommodations, sight-seeing options, shopping areas to dining places, this center assists you with details of almost every need. They even help you with the reservations for hotels and tours. So when in Harrisburg, to get a better understanding of the city, head to the Historic Harrisburg Resource Center. Visit the website for contact details.
The Walnut Street Bridge is a historic pedestrian bridge that crosses the Susquehanna River in Harrisburg. Colloquially known as the The People's Bridge, it was constructed in 1890. It is a truss bridge made of wrought iron and is also the oldest one that connects Downtown and Riverfront Park with City Island. This beautiful sturdy bridge is still in use and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.
The Tabernacle Baptist Church was built in 1886 and was formerly known as the German Evangelical Zion Lutheran Church. This Gothic structure is made of brick and features a huge square bell tower and oval windows. The church has many ministries to cater different sectors of people and also has regular events to build its community. Apart from Sunday worship services, bible studies and worship groups are held regularly every week.