Ukrainian Autocephalic Orthodox Church of St Nicholas
6 Mackay Gardens
Canberra, ACT 2612
The War Memorial Church of St Nicholas was dedicated to the fallen soldiers in the two World Wars. It was consecrated on 6 April, 1975, by the Right Reverend Bishop Constantine. The church is white rendered with unusually shaped cupolas made from bronze. There are several striking Byzantine mosaics on the outside walls depicting the Holy Virgin and saints. A memorial center, opened in 1988, is located next to the church and was erected by parishioners of Australia and New Zealand. A memorial stone nearby is dedicated to the victims of the Artificial Famine in the Ukraine during 1932-33. The inside of the church can be viewed by appointment.