+33 5 56 00 66 00 (Tourist Information)
In 1832, beneath Place St. Pierre, a magnificent Hellenistic statue of Hercules was found which was used for decoration at the entrance to the port. In the 12th century, the ancient port was filled in and the quarter was built. At this point the banks were diverted towards the south. In the 18th century, the intendants Boucher and Tourny opened up the quarter by destroying the medieval walls and laid out the place de la Bourse
while opening up the place du Parlement
. This quarter features many houses in the style of Louis XV, which are decorated with mascarons, statues, and balconies of stone and the streets are filled with some of the best restaurants in the city.