French Legation Museum
Tu to Su from 01:00 PM to 05:00 PMKing Louis Philippe ordered Alphonse Dubois de Saligny of France to Austin in 1839 to become the French liaison to the Republic of Texas. He insisted on being called "Count" and built this home on 22 acres of land in 1841. While waiting for building to cease, he was involved in a dispute over pigs and moved to Louisiana. He never returned to Texas and did not spend a single night in this home. In 1848, Dr. Joseph Robertson purchased the home and passed it on through his family for years; in 1949, the State of Texas acquired it. The home has been restored and even houses a French Creole kitchen.