Quality Hotel am Rosengarten
Bad Wimpfen, 74206
Phone: (49) 70 639910
Fax: (49) 70 639918008
Osterbergstrasse 16, Bad Wimpfen, DE, 74206
- Phone: (49) 70 639910
- Fax: (49) 70 639918008
Arts & Museums
The museum, founded in 1978, is located in the ward Ziegelhausen in an old Protestant church and it covers three textile themes. The first is historical clothes (robes, costumes and ecclesiastical garments), the second one textiles from all over the world (Quilts and Goblins).The third exhibition displays the production and the subsequent treatment of the textiles and the technical means which were used (weaver´s looms, sewing machines and printing machines). The museum offers special exhibitions with varying entrance costs as well as free entry for the permanent exhibits. Special appointments for guided group tours are available upon request.
The Carl-Bosch Museum is located at the end of Schloss-Wolfsbrunnenweg. It is housed in the garage of the former Villa Bosch. The life and work of Nobel prize winner Carl Bosch (1874-1940) is presented on an area measuring 300 square meters. Eight stages of his life are on display: amongst them is his work as a chemist, technician, scientist and director of the BASF and the I.G. Farben. The museum is accessible for disabled people.
Directly behind the entrance from the Gate Tower to the left, you can find one of the castle's oldest buildings. It was named after Ruprecht III., who in 1400 was elected King. His coat-of-arms (an eagle with the Palatine lions and Bavarian lozenges) forms a facade decoration on the left side of the otherwise rather unadorned walls. 33 x 15 meters in total, the ground floor is divided into two halls in which parts and models of the castle's history are shown. The upper floors once consisted of wooden framework but were later consolidated with massive stones. The small tower on the west side, that is to be seen from the Artillery Garden, also dates from the time of these improvements. A second plaque bearing an inscription states the enlargement of this building by Ludwig V. (1508-1544).
The Ladies' Building was finished in 1534. Originally, there were two stone storeys and above a framework, level with dormitories where the women lived. Consisting mainly of wood, the building burnt down in 1693. Only the ground floor with the King's Hall is left. It is an enormous size for its time. It was used as the main festival hall, until the more splendid halls in the Ottheinrichsbau and Friedrichsbau were built. After 1600, during construction of the Friedrich's Building, it served as a workshop for the sculptors and in winter as a fencing school or for knightly tournaments such as tilting. Today the King's hall is used for occasional festivities.
On the east side of the castle, between Ottheinrichsbau and the Economics buildings on the south, lies this austere building with three storeys. Built in 1524 under Ludwig V. (1508-1544) it was originally twice the size. The octagonal tower with the gateway once stood in the middle and divided the building into two wings. Only 30 years after erection, the northern wing was torn down to make place for the ostentatious Ottheinrich Palace. A well-preserved plaque above the gateway depicts the Palatine lion with the Bavarian lozenges together with the illustration of two monkeys at play with a then popular trial of strength.
The Ottheinrichsbau was the castle's first example of Renaissance magnificence. To make way for it, one wing of the Ludwig's Building was pulled down. The new building was erected between the adapted Ludwigsbau and the Hall-of-Mirrors Building. Besides the parlors and drawing rooms, there was the large festivity hall that was named the Imperial Hall, following a visit of the then Emperor Maximilian II. in 1570. The cellar now houses the Apothecaries' Museum. The splendor of the Ottheinrich Palace is characterized by a rich facade, famous for its sculptures, presumably created by Alexander Colin from Mechelen. Due to the War in 1693, the roof completely disappeared, which only further highlights the beauty of the building, especially in front of a blue sky.
When the ambitious Friedrich V., Bohemia's Winter King, became Prince Elector in 1610, his predecessors had already made use of every inch of the courtyard. To add another building Friedrich V. (who in 1613 married Elizabeth Stuart, daughter of the English King Jacob I.) had to plan his building beyond the castle walls. On the north-western side he had a palace extension built, through the Artillery Garden to the Thick Tower. On the Thick Tower the festival hall was added, where concerts and theater plays (among others some by Shakespeare) were staged. Of the former two storey building only the outer walls remain, displaying clear, classical forms offering a striking contrast to the older and richly adorned palaces of Ottheinrichsbau and Friedrichsbau .
The Deutsches Apotheken-museum, situated in the castle, offers a wide range of information on pharmaceutical history. Beginning with the pharmacy system of the 17th Century up to the 20th Century, it shows the education of a pharmacist and original accouterments of pharmacies from the Early Victorian time and the rococo. Other items of interest at Deutsches Apothekenmuseum includes the pharmaceutical herbs and drugs and the details of their technical or pharmaceutical production from the 17th Century to the 20th Century. The laboratory in the Apothecaries Tower exhibits the development of pharmaceutical production from alchemist laboratories to analytical chemistry laboratories.
Völkerkundemuseum der J. & E. von Portheim-Stiftung Heidelberg (V.P.S.T) was founded in 1919 and is nowadays located in the Palais Weimar. The permanent exhibition documents the culture of the Asmat in New Guinea. Several rooms in the basement and on the ground floor present not only the life and times of the Asmat, but also the environment they were living in. Cultural object such as masks, jewelery, household effects, musical instruments, arms and a large boat, almost fills one exhibition hall.
The museum attempts to document the persecution of the German Sinti and Roma by the Nazis in the Third Reich in chronological and historical context. The permanent exhibition extends over 3 floors. The first one explains the persecution from 1922, the year of the "assumption of power" from the exclusion of this group from public life and the mass deportations towards Poland. The second floor describes the mass executions in southern and eastern Europe, as well as the medical experiments, the forced labor in the industrial firms and the deportations and the murder in Auschwitz-Birkenau. Often the historical events are explained through individual people's stories. The third floor is dedicated to the victims.
The museum of Church Art and Liturgy is situated in a wing of the Jesuitenkirche, with its entrance in the church. It exhibits a variety of ecclesiastical items, such as vestments whilst also displaying ecclesiastic paintings and sacred liturgical objects dating from the 17th Century to the 19th Century. The museum's treasury vault shows monstrances from Augsburg. The history of the Order of the Jesuits and the history of the construction of the church in the 18th Century is documented separately. The church gallery shows an altar and some scriptural manuscripts.
The students' prison was established in the late 18th Century and was in use until 1914. For the students it was more an amusement than any real punishment for their crimes (burglaries, scuffles and forbidden students´ duels). The paintings, autographs, comments, coat of arms prove that they had a lot of fun in their small rooms equipped with one table, one chair, an iron bed with a sea grass mattress, a chamberpot and a spittoon.