+49 89 29 0671
In 1385 the ruling Wittelsbach family decided to erect a new palace since the Alter Hof
had become too small for their needs. The main building was the first part of the royal residence to be erected. The palace grounds include numerous grottoes, courtyards, fountains, a medicine room, antiquarium, chapel and the delightful Wittelsbach fountain built by Duke Otto between 1611 and 1623. The Residenz houses the Crown Jewels
, the State Collection of Egyptian Art
, the late-baroque Residenz Theatre
and the classicist Herkulessaal
, a concert hall with amazing acoustics.