Quality Hotel Downtown
89 Luckie St.
Atlanta, GA 30303
Phone: (404) 524-7991
Fax: (404) 524-0672
Renowned local architect Neil Reid designed this Beaux-Arts classic in 1920 for the Hass-Howell Insurance Company. Although understated compared to the gaudy design often featured in this style, the ashlar stone building features an enormous, elaborately carved arched doorway that faces the more detailed U.S. Customs Building across the street. A floor of the Haas-Howell Building houses administrative offices of the Rialto Center for the Performing Arts.
Developed in 1929 by two of Atlanta's noted citizens, this landmark structure was for a long time, one of the tallest buildings in Atlanta. Built by the Rhodes-Haverty Investment Company, the building consists of 134,648 square feet (12,510 square meters) of office space. The three street facing walls are crowned by an arcade under a gable. In the 1960s, the original entrance canopies were removed and replaced by the existing granite structure.
Built in 1906 by Coca-Cola founder Asa Candler, this 17 story masterpiece is a prominent fixture on the Atlanta skyline. The elaborate detail on the white marble facade is a fine example of the style of the period, when functional buildings were designed as much for their aesthetic appeal as for their practicality. The tons of structural steel and iron used in construction is said to be twice the amount used in any other building in the Southeast. Today, the building houses private offices. The Atlanta Preservation Center's walking tours of the neighborhood include The Candler Building.
Completed toward the end of Atlanta's first high-rise era, this building opened to the public in 1914. Rising 14 floors, The Healey Building was not completely finished, as a second tower had been put on hold because of the outbreak of World War I. When owner William Healey died shortly after the war, plans for the second tower were abandoned. Nonetheless, the single-towered stone and terracotta structure was a marvel of modern achievement and stood as a commanding landmark until the dawn of the skyscraper era. While visiting Atlanta's Downtown neighborhood, catch a glimpse of Healey Condominiums' beautiful facade.
This 11-story triangular building was designed by Bradford Gilbert and is the finest local example of the 'Chicago style' of urban architecture. Built in 1897, this is the oldest steel-framed high rise in the city and is credited with influencing the design of many of the skyscrapers that sprang up in Atlanta over the following two decades. The building's name was derived from its distinctive narrow shape, the base of which is supported by half columns separated by vast windows.
Spread over 6 acres of lush greenery, the Woodruff Park enjoys a splendid location in the heart of the student, financial and nightlife districts. Atlanta's green lung in every way, this park is equipped with fountains, water-coolers, shaded areas, sculptures, bandstands and pruned lawns so that students, office-goers and tourists can seek respite for a while. Cultural and community events are a regular occurrence too.
For aerial views of Atlanta that can't be beat, check out Skyview Atlanta. This Ferris wheel, nearly 20-stories high, takes about four minutes for a full rotation, which means plenty of time to soak in the expansive cityscape. Each ride includes four full rotations, which puts total ride time around 15 minutes or so. Each gondola holds six people, and there are VIP gondolas offering leather seats and glass pane windows.
The sleek style of the Olympia Building marked a subtle transition in the urban architecture of the 1930s. Somewhere between the overriding revival styles of the previous generation and the glass-heavy International style that were gaining prominence, the simple elegance of this two-story office building is what sets it apart. Upon construction in 1935, the busy office building became a popular hangout for commuters and downtown visitors, who would linger at the streetcar station located in the front. A circular Coco-Cola signboard is perched atop the terrace of this building.
This agency is the city of Atlanta's primary public source for free tourist information. Visitors are invited to stop by this centrally-located facility, or browse the bureau's detailed website for up-to-the-minute information on attractions, sporting events, lodging, dining and other special events. Brochures, maps and a wealth of friendly advice are yours for the asking, just steps from most downtown hotels. Corporate visitors with an eye on hosting functions in Atlanta are encouraged to call and set up an appointment.
Commissioned in 1932 by Albert E. Thornton, The Ten Park Place Building was built on land that had been in the family since the Thorntons helped settle the city several generations earlier. Also known as The Thornton Building, this progressive structure was designed by Anthony Eyck Brown and is a rare local example of the Modernist style. The limestone exterior features fluted columns and elaborately adorned entablatures facing the street, while the marble and brass lobby is highlighted by an ornate elevator bay.
When building this landmark in the 1920s, architect Joel Hurt was careful to keep frills to a minimum, preferring the simple base, shaft and capital design so prevalent in the office buildings of the 1890s. The resulting clarity of design still provides a handsome highlight to the Atlanta skyline, rising 18 stories above the downtown business district. It is now used mainly for private office space.
The First Congregational Church of Atlanta is the second oldest Black Congregational Church in the United States, and has played a invaluable role in the social upliftment and spiritual growth of the African-Americans of Atlanta. From the time of its inception, the church has provided the community with a host of facilities that had until then been denied to the greatly neglected African-American community. Housed within a stunning early 20th-century building, the church is a striking sight that inspires all with its beauty and historic significance. Although chiefly built in a Beaux-Arts Classical Revival style, the church gracefully incorporates a mix of styles including that of the Italian Renaissance and Spanish Mission. Favored by prominent members of the community and as a part of the United Church of Christ, the church continues on in its legacy of creating a generation of spiritually mature and socially conscious individuals. Striving for social justice, this open church continues to contribute to and organize social outreach and humanitarian efforts. Home to a vibrant and active congregation, the First Congregational Church offers worship service every Sunday at 11a and organizes various events and concerts throughout the year.